Regular Contributor

Re: Would you like the Amazon HQ2 in a city near you?

Live in Pittsburgh. Pros and cons about this. I think it would be good for our region.

Honored Contributor

In Colorado? No, absolutely no.

Honored Contributor

PA. needs the jobs, COME ON DOWN.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

NO, We do NOT NEED NOR WANT THEM IN MONTGOMERY COUNTY, MD.

I know the area very, very well. Grew up about 15 minutes from where they want to build it. Had lots of friends that lived there. It was THE place to shop back in the day because the land was once a HUGE mall. It is surrounded by lots and LOTS of tiny streets, major traffic issues, Metro (that only goes so far as there is no money to do the work) and everything is predominantly blue collar jobs and families packed in very tightly. The area has done many shifts from super rich to where it is now and there is NO ROOM TO BUILD ANY HOUSING, MORE ROADS OR ANYTHING ELSE other than that one large plot of land. For YEARS, a developer has been fighting to put up mixed income housing (BADLY needed) playground, pool, small mom and pop eateries and they can't due to legal issues. Suddenly AMAZON wants to build here and everyone is going ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?! IT WILL BE HELL ON EARTH!

Not to mention ALL the money "we don't have" suddenly appears to help out Amazon HQ2 to build here. Oh, people are NOT happy.

It's one thing if you have the room to build; the need to bring in more roads, housing, you need the jobs, the infrastructure; this area does NOT. I'm telling you, if you saw the area they were going to build on, stood there and then did a 360 you would see nothing but built up built up built up with virtually no room to move. It's idiotic to think this is a good location; idiotic.

Let's not even mention how horrible traffic already is in the MD/DC/NVA area without Amazon being here. 

Respected Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

I say be careful what you wish for. Seattle is now struggling with the exacerbation of traffic congestion and soaring housing costs caused by large companies but particularly Amazon the behometh.

Any attempts to hold them responsible to some degree is met by threats from Amazon. How dare they suffer a small tax that would help the city deal with the negative changes caused by their presence.

I love my Amazon Prime and am a loyal customer, but I have no illusions regarding their increasing influence and control.

@suzyQ3   This is what I worry about.  Do the pros outweigh the cons in the long run?  In our area, the bid team will not release the tax incentives, etc which are part of the proposal.  When tax dollars are involved, I strongly feel the public needs to know.

Honored Contributor

@Allegheny wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

I say be careful what you wish for. Seattle is now struggling with the exacerbation of traffic congestion and soaring housing costs caused by large companies but particularly Amazon the behometh.

Any attempts to hold them responsible to some degree is met by threats from Amazon. How dare they suffer a small tax that would help the city deal with the negative changes caused by their presence.

I love my Amazon Prime and am a loyal customer, but I have no illusions regarding their increasing influence and control.

@suzyQ3   This is what I worry about.  Do the pros outweigh the cons in the long run?  In our area, the bid team will not release the tax incentives, etc which are part of the proposal.  When tax dollars are involved, I strongly feel the public needs to know.

@Allegheny, a poster upstream mentioned that she was okay with it because it wouldn't be close enough to where she lives to inconvenience her.

I'm afraid this the world we live in now. Unless something adversely affects us personally, who cares?

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

My city is in the top 20.  As far as them getting tax break incentives, everyone here get's tax break incentives in the upper echelon...nothing new there.

We'll take the new jobs creation, but I doubt our city will be chosen.

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Respected Contributor

I know in Phoenix we have a warehouse but not near me, around holiday time our local news says they need seasonal workers because of the demand. It's huge and very busy getting out orders. Hope they give more jobs to people and help with our state taxes. Doesn't bother me and glad they give jobs. 

Honored Contributor

I would love Amazon's HQ to be in this area....as long as the state didn't hand them too much welfare to move here.  Our state budget went from a huge surplus to billions in the hole in just 5  years because of all the corporate welfare, tax breaks, etc etc.

Honored Contributor

Taxing online purchases is up to the state, not the company.  My state just passed a law last week requiring tax on all online purchases.