Honored Contributor

Would you let your 17-year old see Fifty Shades of Grey on a school trip?

Another sign that times have changed.

A teacher and a coach were chaperoning a group of juniors and seniors on a volleyball tournament trip. When they stopped for a break, the girls asked the teacher if they could rent Fifty Shades of Grey to watch on the trip. The teacher initially said no, but the girls pointed out that everyone was over 17, and a lot of them had seen it before. The coach driving that car went along with the teacher, who decided to rent it for them.

There's a lot more to this story that happened in Wisconsin. None of the parents of the girls involved were upset, but apparently another parent of a younger girl, who was not in that particular car, was.

I've been in a bus with all adults, and we have to take a PG movie in case someone is offended! 

I still haven't seen Fifty Shades of Grey.

So would you be upset?

I would. If the parents are OK with their daughters seeing the movie, that's fine, but NOT on a school trip! 

I'm still getting over the time DD watched American Pie at a birthday party (mixed sexes) when she was 14. When I asked where the parents were she said they were watching with them! Of course they were the "cool" parents! Smiley Frustrated

Honored Contributor

Re: Would you let your 17-year old see Fifty Shades of Grey on a school trip?

[ Edited ]

It sounds like the inmates are running the nuthouse.  If the movie and book had some redeeming literary value, that would be one thing but the reviews I've heard on both were pretty bad.  There are thousands of movies available.  I'd ask them to pick something else.

This would not look good as the headline of your local newspaper and I bet the school board would look askance at it too.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

That's awful.  I don't care if they're all 17 years old.  What sane adult would think it was a good idea to rent a movie containing sexual situations for children on a school-related trip?  It's just creepy and wrong.  When you're on a school trip, you are still participating in a school-related activity.  Although you are outside of the physical building of the school, your behavior should be the same as if you were still on the premesis.  It wouldn't be appropriate to show that movie inside the classroom, so it shouldn't be shown on a school trip, either.  That teacher and coach should lose their jobs immediately.  Also, the teacher could lose his/her pension.  If the state board of education reviews the incident, he/she could be in huge trouble for violating a morality clause.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I was 10 yrs old when my parents brought my sister (5 yrs younger than me) and I to the drive-in movie to see Alice's Restaurant in 1969. Although, it was an 'r' rated movie at the time, my parents just thought it would just be a few swear words here and there, but they were in shock when they saw some bare...well you know what...lol...and both of them turned around to the back seat and covered our eyes. It was quite innocent, and I certainly wasn't scarred for life over it...LOL

On the contrary...as a woman in her late 50's, my life has become more scarred over things that are happening in this day and age...

Sad but true Smiley Sad

Honored Contributor

From what I have heard/read about it, I wouldn't see it, why would I let an impressionable 17-year-old see it? Kids are forced into adulthood today soon enough.

Esteemed Contributor

Inappropriate!!!

What were they thinking

Honored Contributor

I began reading the book years ago. Got about 3/4 of the way through, got bored and never finished it. Mindless and crass.

"Pure Michigan"
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Probably not their best decision on a school sponsored trip.

I will say though, the kids have probably seen and heard worse already.

Esteemed Contributor

Our school district is not allowed to show anything over PG for any age.

That is so inappropriate.

Honored Contributor

I haven't read nor seen this movie yet myself but from all I've heard about it, I would agree this movie was probably not the one to show on a class trip of any sort.

Reminds me of being in HS in the late 60s/early 70s with required class reading of "Catcher In The Rye".  MUCH to-do over that choice too.