Honored Contributor

Re: Would you let this coach teach your baby to swim?

WOW!  She looked like she was handling dirty wash.

No, I would not allow her to touch my children.

My granddaughter went to the Y when she was about 2 months old.  her mother was there with other mothers and they blew into the baby's face and dunked them under water.  That was to teach them to hold their breath.

I think all of that dunking and shaking makes the babies their breath, but I still would not allow it.

Trusted Contributor

When I was about 5 years old my mother took me to a swimming class. All of us were lined up in the pool and the instructor wanted us to put our heads under water for a certain amount of time. When many of us could not do it she said she would personally come out into the water and hold our heads under if we did not stay under long enough.

I left the pool in tears and my parents could not get me back in the water for swimming lessons until I was in junior high. I am still not entirely comfortable in water.Smiley Sad

Esteemed Contributor

My father taught me how to swim when I was five years old and you can be sure it was nothing like what that  poor baby experienced.  I could barely watch the video and would never allow any baby of mine to be treated that way.  I do know instructors dunk babies when learning but certainly not in the manner in which that one does it.  Scary.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Honored Contributor

@cherry the lifelong trauma as a result of this abusive behavior is unacceptable.  Difficult to understand parents subjecting their child to noxious behavior that will result in lifelong consequences.  The French woman handles/talks to a child respecting the life cradled in her hands.  We all appropriately deserve this love and caring focused touch/speech.  I believe in nonviolence towards all sentient beings.  This behavior should be our natural state towards each other and reverence for all life.

Honored Contributor

@RealtyGal2 you'll see I pretty much had the same experience at the Y.  I'm 65 years old and never did learn how to swim because of that.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Believe it or not, some of the parents defend this woman. One even called her a gift from God.

The other coaches want it stopped, and a Dr said it was dangerous and harmful.

I am so glad everyone has the same view as me

I think she should be investigated and perhaps charged with child abuse. What if those babies slipped out of her hands? They would drown. They could ingest water into their lungs as she whirls them around. I would be afraid of whiplash...Woman Sad

Esteemed Contributor

My maternal grandfather's way of teaching my mom to swim as a child?

He litterally threw her in to a lake and said "Sink or swim".

Yeah, my mother's dad was a real "winner". 

Not.

To her last day, she had a fear of deep water.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

The COACH would be permanently EXPIRED if that was MY KIDDO.

Esteemed Contributor

@cherry wrote:

@hellie jo  she is actually working with disabled babies. The babies are 2 or 3 months old

She is working with disabled babies? Somehow to me, that makes it even worse. They are liable to end up having more problems after being with that woman. Poor babies.

Respected Contributor

How is this different from water-boarding? That baby can’t possibly be a threat to national security!