Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Would you let this coach teach your baby to swim?

That looked like a case of shaken baby in the making...horrific and barbaric couldn’t finish watching

Trusted Contributor

Couldn't (can't) watch it -too awful I'm sure and will bother me, but where are the parents? That would last two seconds with my defenseless baby. 

⚓️
Honored Contributor

I didn't watch it but I remember as a kid my mom taking us to the Y for swim lessons and the coach shoving and holding my head under the water during the very first lesson.

I never went back.  I don't remember if my brother and sister ever went back.

Respected Contributor

Wow, that was incredibly ridiculous. She should be charged as well as the parents for letting that happen.  That poor baby. Not even old enough to know what is happening. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

No, I would not!  It's almost sadistic but I do understand what's happening.  Swim classes for babies, some just a few months old, are not new.  My girls took swimming lessins when they were 3 and 4 but I sat and watched the baby lessons many time...and that was 30 years ago.  The idea is that all babies are born knowing how to swim and they have no natural fear of water or being immersed in water or of having water in the faces.  So, I saw coaches toss the babies into the pool and yes, they would swim.  I remember seeing the coach dunk the babies and do what that woman was doing but no where near as violently and dangerously as that video.  I'm shocked that any parent would let her do it their baby.  

Trusted Contributor

@happycat wrote:

No, if that woman manhandled my baby like that, I'd probably end up getting arrested. I think its unnecessary roughness. Who picks up a baby by its arms like that also? I think the woman is a about a nut, and anyone who takes a baby to her is even worse.

I couldn't even watch the whole video.

That was horrible.  I would definitely end up in jail if any of my grandbabies were handled like that.  I would like to give her a swimming lesson.  

Trusted Contributor

@happycat wrote:

No, if that woman manhandled my baby like that, I'd probably end up getting arrested. I think its unnecessary roughness. Who picks up a baby by its arms like that also? I think the woman is a about a nut, and anyone who takes a baby to her is even worse.

I couldn't even watch the whole video.

@happycat 

I couldn't watch bc child abuse makes me physically ill, but you are so right!!!

⚓️
Esteemed Contributor

No!! Not in a million years!!

Honored Contributor

No.  I don't see any reason for giving babies wimming lessons.  I never learned to swim.  We weren't into that stuff growing up.  

I don't go to pools or beaches and if I had children certainly wouldn't take them there.

Esteemed Contributor

When I was an infant/toddler, my dad would playfully dunk me underwater, but only for like half a second, then bring me back up.

I watched the whole thing, and no, she would not get anywhere near my kid(s).

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.