Respected Contributor

Re: Would you let strangers live in your house?

[ Edited ]

Not a chance.  Heck, in my early 20's I split a 2-bedroom apartment with a friend/neighbor I'd known since I was 4 yrs. old.  She immediately moved in her boyfiend, who said "We want to adopt you."  It was less than a day when I made my feelings known.

Speaking of Judge Judy, (which my DH & I watch when we're tired of news), we have a game of shouting "Craigslist" every time a plaintiff/ defendant mentions they found a car, renter, or whatever on Craigslist.

I once adopted a bengal cat through Craigslist and DH will NEVER let me forget what a disaster it was...

Denise
Valued Contributor

People around me let strangers live in their homes (I guess for rent money).  They let them know they are welcome by leaving their storm doors wide open as a sign.

Honored Contributor

Not in this day and age. 

When I grew up, many people rented a room in their home to especially a single person, either a young person just starting out, or an older retired person. My great aunt did this. And after WW II it was very popular, as there was a huge housing shortage after the war. 

But these are much different times, and while I'd consider doing it for someone I knew well, in the right circumstances, I can't imagine it with a stranger. I would consider investing in a multi unit home or duplex and renting out the units to others, separate units and not part of my actual living space, though.

Honored Contributor

Absolutey not!  I would never rent my home out either as some do.  I would not want strangers using my things, etc.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

Never - when I first left home and lived on my own it was often hard to make ends meet but even then I always swore - NO ROOMATES, even friends.  And every Judge Judy epi that goes wrong usually begins with "I found roomate (or bought something) off Craigslist .  

Honored Contributor

i guess when you are hard up for any kind of money you'll do anything.

no way would i have strangers living with me. 

Respected Contributor

@denisemb wrote:

Not a chance.  Heck, in my early 20's I split a 2-bedroom apartment with a friend/neighbor I'd known since I was 4 yrs. old.  She immediately moved in her boyfiend, who said "We want to adopt you."  It was less than a day when I made my feelings known.

Speaking of Judge Judy, (which my DH & I watch when we're tired of news), we have a game of shouting "Craigslist" every time a plaintiff/ defendant mentions they found a car, renter, or whatever on Craigslist.

I once adopted a bengal cat through Craigslist and DH will NEVER let me forget what a disaster it was...

JJ just had a case on this past week about a cat adoption.  Was that you?  LOL

Esteemed Contributor

No I would not let strangers live in my house (or family unless there was a tragedy of course then I would!) and also we do not loan money to anyone or let anyone drive our cars or co sign for any loans. All that is asking for a court case! I would of course help my adult kids if need be in a bad spot but they never asked or needed help as adults except I babysat my grandkids when they were younger. This is how to stay out of arguments and trouble lol.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Esteemed Contributor

@missy1 wrote:

@AuntG wrote:

No, with one exception (and only if I needed the money badly). A Christian high school that has out-of-state students is looking for rooms to house those teens. I believe the homeowner gets reimbursed $7500 to provide housing for a nine month school year.

I have read it's not worth it to host a  (exchange etc) student for like 1500 a month. They tax you. You have to take them to school (all the gas and time). You have to provide 2 meals a day. You can't make them do chores. Your life is on hold for all those months. It ends up like you getting 300 a month or less. Now you might have to get added car insurance for taking/picking up student from school.

I know several people who hosted exchange students, and it wasn't at all about the money for them.  It was about providing a great experience for the student as well as for their own children. 

None of them felt it wasn't "worth it"  - They weren't looking for financial gain.  And of course they were aware of the added responsibility ahead of time.  It was well worth it to them, and none of them every felt that their lives had been on hold.  They all were very glad they had done it.

Esteemed Contributor

@patbz wrote:

When I bought my first home at 38 I did rent out a bedroom with bath and shared public areas.  The small city had a shortage of rentals and a military base was being reactivated.  First I rented to a civilian couple who worked at the base and then to an unaccompanied married lady who also worked there (she I'm was a civilian who got a promotion to work there and get her "high three" before retiring).  Both worked out really well and we shared utilities plus rent.  Added benefit is they watched my dog if I was out of town.

I know someone who lives near a big University, and she rents a room (with bathroom) to medical students.  One room, one student at a time.  Her room is upstairs, the student's room is downstairs.  She feels safer having someone in the house, and it's always worked out well.

She's been doing this for many years, and never had a problem.  And she's still in touch with most of them.