Honored Contributor

Re: Would you let strangers live in your house?

@depglass wrote:

To quote Carole Diane, HELL NO !.  DH let his nephew stay in our other house and he totally trashed it, costing us thousands.  It took months to get this guy out.  

@depglass

Sorry, but I have to ask .... how much of a security deposit did you require when he moved in?

Honored Contributor

Nada, zip, zero.  I usually put my foot down in these situations, but I figured its his family, he can handle it.  Never again.  He wasn't even charging him rent for the first year, then it was just enough to cover property taxes.  I think he felt sorry for the nephew, raised by a drunk father.  Unfortunately the kid is "cute," and looks much younger than his 32 years.  He's been enabled by the rest of the world, from what I can tell.  There has been little contact over the years.  The rate he is going he will eventually end up in jail.

Respected Contributor

@Carol Diane wrote:

HELL NO!!!

@Carol Diane

This would be my response, too.

Honored Contributor

I second that ! Not happening on my watch

Honored Contributor

@hellie jo

No, I wouldn’t let strangers live in my home but I wouldn’t let relatives live here either. lol

Respected Contributor

After my divorce I had to rent a room. I kind of knew the lady and it turned out she was a wacko.

I moved out and rented out another room from a friend and I have lived peacefully ever since.

Sleep sweet Bo 3/19/08 8/4/18
Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@missy1 wrote:

@AuntG wrote:

No, with one exception (and only if I needed the money badly). A Christian high school that has out-of-state students is looking for rooms to house those teens. I believe the homeowner gets reimbursed $7500 to provide housing for a nine month school year.

I have read it's not worth it to host a  (exchange etc) student for like 1500 a month. They tax you. You have to take them to school (all the gas and time). You have to provide 2 meals a day. You can't make them do chores. Your life is on hold for all those months. It ends up like you getting 300 a month or less. Now you might have to get added car insurance for taking/picking up student from school.

My brother and his wife have been housing foreign students from China for years.  They usually get two or three each year.  They have all been males, except for one female.

They are no trouble.  They take the bus to school and back and they do not eat most American food, so they do not provide them with meals.  They won't even sit with the family and eat for holidays. An adult does have to be in the home with them overnight.

I have been there and have seen that sometimes the kids order out and have food delivered. I know they like pizza.

They mostly stay in their room and don't socialize much. They call a taxi if they need to go somewhere, but sometimes my brother's wife will take them with her to the grocery or where they want or need to go.

Usually the family of one of the boys will take all of the kids on vacation during The Christmas Holidays to someplace warm. 

These kids have their own spending money and they come from super wealthy families.  I don't know how much my brother makes for keeping these kids, but it is plenty.

These kids are paying my nephew's med school tuition and they paid for his four years at a private college.

It works for my brother, but doesn't appeal to me at all.

Maybe your family likes hosting, and it's not about the money. These kids are from wealthy families and are catered too. I guess there is always an adult overnight at your brothers house.  (seems like an inconvience imo) It also depends on where you live (cost of living/payout), and who you host.. If they chose not to ride the bus, then they would have to take them. (It's required) I am glad your brother expierence is good, but it's not always like that.

Honored Contributor

Heck, my husband is lucky I let him live here!

But seriously, I would do what I have to do to survive, but I would check all the boxes.

Also, there is a big difference among renting a room for an extended period of time to a stranger, renting to a family member or friend, and renting on a limited basis such as Airbnb. All have their own risks.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Trusted Contributor

no way.  i ahd too many problems with the house nes=xt door because the owner allowed people that she did not know reside there.  the one guy and his son stayed for 23 years.  her daughter had to have them evicted.  it was awful.  there were drugs and all sorts  terrible stuff that went on in that house.

a friend wanted me to rent a spare bedroom to one of his co workers that had lost her apartment and i told him no way.  i feel sorry for people that are homeless but i won't do it.

Respected Contributor

NO!