Honored Contributor

Re: Would you let strangers live in your house?

@missy1 wrote:

@AuntG wrote:

No, with one exception (and only if I needed the money badly). A Christian high school that has out-of-state students is looking for rooms to house those teens. I believe the homeowner gets reimbursed $7500 to provide housing for a nine month school year.

I have read it's not worth it to host a  (exchange etc) student for like 1500 a month. They tax you. You have to take them to school (all the gas and time). You have to provide 2 meals a day. You can't make them do chores. Your life is on hold for all those months. It ends up like you getting 300 a month or less. Now you might have to get added car insurance for taking/picking up student from school.

My brother and his wife have been housing foreign students from China for years.  They usually get two or three each year.  They have all been males, except for one female.

They are no trouble.  They take the bus to school and back and they do not eat most American food, so they do not provide them with meals.  They won't even sit with the family and eat for holidays. An adult does have to be in the home with them overnight.

I have been there and have seen that sometimes the kids order out and have food delivered. I know they like pizza.

They mostly stay in their room and don't socialize much. They call a taxi if they need to go somewhere, but sometimes my brother's wife will take them with her to the grocery or where they want or need to go.

Usually the family of one of the boys will take all of the kids on vacation during The Christmas Holidays to someplace warm. 

These kids have their own spending money and they come from super wealthy families.  I don't know how much my brother makes for keeping these kids, but it is plenty.

These kids are paying my nephew's med school tuition and they paid for his four years at a private college.

It works for my brother, but doesn't appeal to me at all.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think it depends on the kids. My neighbor had a delightful boy from Sweden. They adored him, and  treated him like family

The next kid that  they got ,was a tough nut, he had been in trouble and had a nasty attitude. They endured him ,and were glad to see him go

So the next time they got a girl. She was terrible, worse than the boy. They took her to Hawaii ,all expense ,paid, and she never once ,said thank you, for anything

Finally ,the husband asked her ,if she was unhappy with her trip to Hawaii. She said no ,and asked him, why he asked. He said, well you never said thank you, so I thought perhaps you didn't enjoy yourself..She shot back at him saying, I never asked you to take me...She was something else

Honored Contributor

No, I would not. I love my privacy.

Esteemed Contributor

Generally speaking I would say no, I like living alone and I like my privacy.

However, I would not say "never" to the possibility of renting a room.  Desperate times call for desperate measures.  Sometimes there are no viable alternatives.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Respected Contributor

I’m betting no one WANTS to, but some people NEED to. 

My buddy is super cheap and stays in Air BNB’s. She’s stayed in peoples houses when they are home. So weird. One family asked if she wanted to watch TV with them. 

Regular Contributor

No.

Respected Contributor

I sure am thankful for people who do. My sister has never made enough money to afford her own place and has always had to have roommates. Most of my friends have had to do the same at some point in their lives. And I have no idea what might happen in my own future. If we go through another big recession and I lose my job and can't find a new one, I might have to do the same someday.

I'd rather live with strangers than in my car or under a bridge.

Honored Contributor

@hellie jo wrote:

I have watched many episodes of Judge Judy were people have some awful problems with people that will rent a room in their house.These are people you know nothing about.I do not want a stranger in my house,fixing food in my kitchen and just being there.How scary. I understand needing money but I would find another way,a less expensive place for instance.Would you do this?

@hellie jo

LOL ....  well, first of all, your assuming that the people who end up on Judge Judy are "normal people" is your first mistake.  Seriously?  Judge Judy?   Same as Jerry Springer, IMO.

Secondly, haven't you ever heard of "roommates"?   

I've had roommates a few times and, when requesting a healthy security deposit and references, it separates the wheat from the chaff VERY fast.   My experiences with roommates have been nothing but positive, but you need to use common sense.

Honored Contributor

@Kardi wrote:

First let me be clear, I agree with those of you who say you wouldn’t even consider such a thing.  I don’t even like when my brother-in-law visits for a few days and stays in our guest room.  I do find it interesting that not all that long ago many families shared homes with others.  It was necessary to get by.  My grandparents raised their children while sharing their home with their parents.  An uncle and aunt rented their upstairs to a friend to generate extra income.  I remember some of my elementary school teachers who rented rooms  from folks in the area.  I’m not sure when we decided that these arrangements are scary, unclean and creepy.

@Kardi

Well, the OP started this thread by referencing the people she regularly watches on Judge Judy.   Need I say more?

Honored Contributor

To quote Carole Diane, HELL NO !.  DH let his nephew stay in our other house and he totally trashed it, costing us thousands.  It took months to get this guy out.