Respected Contributor

Re: Would you let strangers live in your house?

No, Never.  I wonder how much of that show is real.....

Honored Contributor

It's very common around here.

My son rents a room in a gorgeous home in a very pricey neighborhood.

The owner is a retired sheriff's deputy, he lives in a downstairs apartment, DS lives upstairs.   There is one other guy living in the house as well.

DS loves it, much better than living in an apartment complex.

My DD is looking for a new apartment and I've been looking online for her and there are many many rooms for rent.  She wants her own place, not a room.

It's not for everyone.

I loved to watch the TV show Income Property.   It showed a couple buying their first home & the host encourages them to find something that can be renovated into a 2-family or at least a separate apartment to rent.   The rental income pays the mortgage.

Respected Contributor

After several summer seasons of renting our shore house, there is no way I will rent any property that I live in full or part time.  Too many problems....and people that you think are just like you turn out to be the opposite end of the spectrum.  Worst story, high level “ professionals “

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I like my privacy, but if I needed it help with my bills I  might. The bedrooms would have to be opposite ends of the house. I  would background check them, they must work outside the home (verified). and maybe no guests. It would all be written in a  contract for month to month rent. The worst part is when you have to evict. They can detroy your house in the process. That's why many homeowners may cut off the luxury of the AC, wifi, TV etc for them to leave. Make sure you get first and a decent deposit. 

Respected Contributor

That is what airbnb is all about.

I just visited NYC and was looking into airbnb, and most offerings were a single bedroom, shared bath, in an apartment with others (shared common areas).  Yuck!

We rented one that was a single studio apartment with private bath, but it was a rare offering.  

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Esteemed Contributor

No, I would not rent to anyone. And, try and get them out of the house - takes a long time to evict someone.

Trusted Contributor

Never. My privacy is way too important to even consider it.

Esteemed Contributor

No.Never ever!! I’m too paranoid in today’s crazy world 🌎!!

Honored Contributor

No ,and I wouldn't let JJ in, either

Honored Contributor

I would not do it. My house is comfortable as is. Would not want to add another body.

The neighbor up the street rents out a room/rooms for years. He keeps doing it so it must work for him. I think it is against local zoning so we don't discuss it with him.