Honored Contributor

Re: Would you let co workers force you out?

@lovesrecess  Your neice needs to tell the boss what they are taking credit for.  Your neice needs to get a stiff upper lip and tell them straight to their face to stop taking credit for something they have nothing to do with.  If they continue you will take action.  Or something like that.  I would not quit because of two losers.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@hckynut wrote:

(title only)

@lovesrecess 

I wouldn't let anyone force me out of anything I am legally doing. Whomever, they would have a big fight on their hands.

hckynut

@hckynut Unfortunately not all of us have the resources or the backing of backbone to do that.  It is almost impossible to fight a situation like this without backing from somewhere in hr, in your office, or the money to hire a good lawyer, then suffer the consequences at work.

I've been an office with a lawsuit going twice, and I've seen people forced out like this.  It doesn't end well for the person, often even if they win a case.  You can win AND lose sometimes.  Especially for a single woman.

Hi @Sooner 

I specifically pointed out "title only", and answered what I would do using that only. Sorry, working in a manufacturing plant is not the same as working in an office atmosphere.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@Meowingkitty wrote:

@stellabystarlight wrote:

I would never let this happen.  She should go to the Human Resources department and have a confidential meeting discussing her situation with documentation.  She needs to be strong at this time and not allow bullies to force her out!

I’ve often found that HR departments are useless. Oft times some companies don’t even have them locally and sometimes they are overseas. The last company I worked for laid off the entire dept in the states and shipped the work to India. The company I worked before that also laid them all off and left individual supervisors take care of the matter. 

I worked for nearly 40 years for a huge international Fortune 500 financial services corporation.  I found HR to be more interested in protecting the company than helping employees.  

I had a great career and many opportunities until the last 2 years. I was promoted many times and was at a senior level and corporate liaison for many issues. I was being harassed by one of the bosses and filed an age discrimination and harassment complaint.   I was scr***d over by both HR and the boss.  Luckily, I'd been there from the 'old' days so i had a defined benefit plan and stayed until it was 100% at age 62.  I worked parttime from 62-65. But those last 2 years ruined all good thoughts about what I thought was a great company.  

Respected Contributor

As someone who did quit a job without finding another one I wouldn't go that route unless it won't affect you too much financially. However, my emotional and physical health were being affected so it was either stay and continue to decline or get out, get healthy and find something less stressful, which I did in several months.

If the niece's claims of the new ladies being buddy buddy with the boss are true I doubt anything will change even with documenting the goings on and standing up for herself. I'd continue to quietly work and document and then when she does find something else, announce her resignation and show the boss her proof. Going to HR probably won't help, IMO it seems these days most departments would rather see good employees go in favor of dealing with toxic work environments unless there's a social media backlash.

Honored Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@hckynut wrote:

(title only)

@lovesrecess 

I wouldn't let anyone force me out of anything I am legally doing. Whomever, they would have a big fight on their hands.

hckynut

@hckynut Unfortunately not all of us have the resources or the backing of backbone to do that.  It is almost impossible to fight a situation like this without backing from somewhere in hr, in your office, or the money to hire a good lawyer, then suffer the consequences at work.

I've been an office with a lawsuit going twice, and I've seen people forced out like this.  It doesn't end well for the person, often even if they win a case.  You can win AND lose sometimes.  Especially for a single woman.

Hi @Sooner 

I specifically pointed out "title only", and answered what I would do using that only. Sorry, working in a manufacturing plant is not the same as working in an office atmosphere.

hckynut

@hckynut It's closer than you think!  Really!  I grew up in mfg. plant town and worked in offices.  Same stuff as far as how people try to get ahead, different settings, different level of humor and way of expressing things, but same basic stunts!  LOL!!!  

It's all just people and you KNOW how they are!  Woman Wink

Honored Contributor

@lovesrecess 

@lovesrecess wrote:
I agree...I cringed when she told me she had gone to her boss...I think she may have painted herself into a corner. My niece is 35 yrs old. The two women she is having so much trouble with are in their fifties. I was surprised when she told me their ages. From what she said, they sound like immature girls.

@I think these two women are at the age when they start feeling that they might be pressured out so they launched their attack on the young desirable one.I know that I was  having twinges of age discrimination in my 40s from the male employees who were dissapointed that I was not cute eye candy.I had upper management males tell me that I was old and not as much fun for them....really didn’t know that an important part of my job was to look cute for them.

Respected Contributor

I'd not allow ppl to push me out but update my resume and be furiously job hunting while continuing doing my job.  Agree with others regarding HR departments.  I've known ppl with very legitimate complaints get burned going to HR and sorry but I'd not expect any HR meetings to be/stay confidential.  

Honored Contributor

@CalminHeart wrote:

@Meowingkitty wrote:

@stellabystarlight wrote:

I would never let this happen.  She should go to the Human Resources department and have a confidential meeting discussing her situation with documentation.  She needs to be strong at this time and not allow bullies to force her out!

I’ve often found that HR departments are useless. Oft times some companies don’t even have them locally and sometimes they are overseas. The last company I worked for laid off the entire dept in the states and shipped the work to India. The company I worked before that also laid them all off and left individual supervisors take care of the matter. 

I worked for nearly 40 years for a huge international Fortune 500 financial services corporation.  I found HR to be more interested in protecting the company than helping employees.  

I had a great career and many opportunities until the last 2 years. I was promoted many times and was at a senior level and corporate liaison for many issues. I was being harassed by one of the bosses and filed an age discrimination and harassment complaint.   I was scr***d over by both HR and the boss.  Luckily, I'd been there from the 'old' days so i had a defined benefit plan and stayed until it was 100% at age 62.  I worked parttime from 62-65. But those last 2 years ruined all good thoughts about what I thought was a great company.  

@CalminHeart   @lovesrecess 

ITA that HR works for the company .... HOWEVER .....  when they learn of actions that could leave them wide open to liability and a big lawsuit ... $$$$  ....  they tend to step in with suprvisors and "advise" them on how to handle the troublemakers .....  no company welcomes lawsuits.

Honored Contributor

I cannot say what I would do in that situation because I'm not in her situation.  I can say that when you don't care for a co-worker, it can make work very, very tough, especially if you work in a small office.  

I hate to say, Human Resources is there to protect the company.  I think a chat with them will be useless.    

Honored Contributor

She should definitely not go to HR. I would recommend she start searching for a new job and when she finds one quit. Stress at work is not good for  her health. Sadly, she will more than likely find unfairness in future jobs as well, the workplace can be difficult. I wish her well.