Honored Contributor

Re: Would you let co workers force you out?

I never recommend leaving a job if the company is a good one and reputable/ethical with good pay and benefits. If you like your manager, it's an even bigger plus.

Going to another company does not guarantee that you will not have the same situation happen again. Maybe people like this aren't there today, but they may be there next year.

My recommendation is that she take some classes or get a life coach to teach her how to stand up for herself and be assertive without being label in a negative way.  She has allowed these ladies to walk all over her.  You don't go running to mommy or daddy to fix it in the corporate world.

I think she made a mistake going to her manager and saying she was going to quit because he clearly called her bluff.  I think she expected him to beg her to stay, so now she knows where she stands.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I suggested she go to the HR dept. It is in another office across town.  She did tell me she has been keeping a log of staying late, etc.

Honored Contributor

I agree...I cringed when she told me she had gone to her boss...I think she may have painted herself into a corner. My niece is 35 yrs old. The two women she is having so much trouble with are in their fifties. I was surprised when she told me their ages. From what she said, they sound like immature girls.
Honored Contributor

That’s what I told her when I mentioned HR...their main objective is to get separated from an employee without a big payout or lawsuit. DIL heads up DR for an international company...the stories she has told!
Honored Contributor

Telling her she can’t use her cane while on the floor violates ADA in everybwhoch way you can! However, HL should have offered her a position which does not require her being on the floor if they don’t want her there with a cane. It also may be a liability thing...in case she falls. They do have a responsibility to make accommodations for her disability...if that is a cane, then they need to do it.
Honored Contributor

She has only had one other job before this one. She seems very good at it and makes six figures....I think the fact that these two women and the boss seem very friendly worries her....and maybe she is afraid one of them will take her job....but they don’t handle the same division. I recall dealing with a really hateful co-worker many years ago....I came very close to transferring to another city with the same company but she was “promoted” and they relocated her. I was so glad I didn’t let her run me off!
Valued Contributor

I know that this field is very competitive and cut throat, but your niece should keep something in mind. If these two new women are stealing her work and claiming it as theirs, these women aren’t smart enough to accomplish the job effectively on their own. If she can protect her work from being stolen, they will flounder and revel their lack of competency in due time. They are a weak link in the chain that is the company. If your niece cares about her work and the company, she should stick it out while protecting her work, and not give these women any hint that she sees them as a threat. 

Esteemed Contributor

What Kachina said -- she gave good advice.

Sometimes we don't leave a place until we're nudged. Agree that HR Departments often work more for company than employees. Time to be silent - be safe at work. Make a plan to change and quietly set out to do so. If two ladies can't be trusted and are close to the boss -- may be time to change the game and improve her environment. It may be more reading the writings on the wall than being chased out. Hoping for better days ahead for this young lady. 

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Trusted Contributor

She needs to stay tough and not let some lazy, ignorant people cause her to run away. She should update her resume and then start looking for another position in her free time. In the meantime she needs to find a way so that they cannot steal or take credit for her work. She has to toughen up and not let them outsmart her again.

Esteemed Contributor

@ahoymate wrote:

FYI......HR works for the company not for the employee. Stay until you get another job.

@ahoymate...This is so true.  Having been a manager with a huge corporation I had many dealings with their HR department and the games they played was an eye opener for sure.  They are not your friend and your advice is spot on.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam