Honored Contributor

Re: Would you let co workers force you out?

She shouldn't even think about quitting until she finds another job.  

I worked in finance / investment field for many years and the economy is in good shape - she should have no problem finding another job.

Honored Contributor

Everyone has a different tolerance for this kind of thing. Only she knows what she can stand. It is not worth ruining your health for any job

Respected Contributor

I would not quit unless I had secured another job.  Plus no job = no health insurance anymore.  I've had to work side by side with some people I did not get along with and even hated and I survived it. Things could improve in the future, who knows.  Or they could get worse.  But I would not sacrifice my income over it.

Honored Contributor

@lovesrecess   Who mentioned quitting first, your niece or her boss?

If your niece brought up leaving the company because of the behavior of the two new employees, then I'm sorry she tipped her hand with the boss.

If your niece brought up the behavior of the two new employees and the boss said well if you want to leave then please pass on the account information to the two new employees, then I guess the boss showed your niece how much he values her.

I'm retired now however I spent 37 years with the same employer and have encountered all kinds of people in that time.  I've seen the employees who really don't know squat and crawl up the bosses ---.  I've seen the 'climbers' who will throw anyone under the bus to get ahead. 

I survived at my company for a couple of reasons.  One - I was there for the money, plain and simple.  I didn't get hung up on personal satisfaction although I had a few jobs that fit me like a glove.  I never "cliqued" with management.  I also never complained to management.

I became so good at what I did, my reputation spoke for itself.  I left the company respected by lots of people.  I left the company respecting lots of people. 

I've had some crazy management.  A few that knew less than me.  A few that were not suited to management.  One that didn't like me and I didn't like her.

In summary, nobody and I mean nobody was forcing me out of my ability to make a good living with health insurance.  I had goals to meet and when I met all of the financial and professional goals that I listed for myself, I put in my retirement papers.

I had to train 3 people to do the job I did because management knew no other single person was going to be able to keep all the balls in the air.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

If you quit your job then you are still eligible to get COBRA . That should not stop anyone from quitting a job, especially one that brings unhappiness.

Honored Contributor

@lovesrecess wrote:

My niece works for a large investment firm; she has been there six years, makes a great salary, and enjoyed her job until two new women were hired about four months ago. She told me over the weekend she is going to quit because of them. She says they “gang up on her” by taking credit for work she does and conveniently disappearing before deadlines, which means she is stuck alone staying late to finish work that must be done. She is single so am concerned about her quitting since it is her only income. She talked to her boss who she said had always been supportive and approachable, but he told her if she wanted to quit, to make sure she gave her account details to the two newest employees so they could take over. 

I told her never let them run you off from a job you love. Would you stay or leave? She said they seem very chummy with the boss also, so that doesn’t help. 

If she did not tell the boss she wanted to quit and he said that to her she should start looking for another job.  She voiced her unhappiness to him, so first chance they get he'll look to get rid of her...

Respected Contributor

SilleeMee: Cobra is very expensive!!!!!!!!!!

Trusted Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

If you quit your job then you are still eligible to get COBRA . That should not stop anyone from quitting a job, especially one that brings unhappiness.

Cobra is expensive and it only lasts for 18 months.

Respected Contributor

I would not let anyone force  me out, unless I have exhausted all other options.   Even then, I would not quit unless I had another job lined up.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Respected Contributor

No.