Honored Contributor

Re: Would you let co workers force you out?

@Meowingkitty wrote:

@stellabystarlight wrote:

I would never let this happen.  She should go to the Human Resources department and have a confidential meeting discussing her situation with documentation.  She needs to be strong at this time and not allow bullies to force her out!

I’ve often found that HR departments are useless. Oft times some companies don’t even have them locally and sometimes they are overseas. The last company I worked for laid off the entire dept in the states and shipped the work to India. The company I worked before that also laid them all off and left individual supervisors take care of the matter. 

@Meowingkitty  More and more HR departments are being outsourced, so they really don't care.  They just go with the flow and hire people and if someone quits that means they get to hire someone else, so unless the turnover gets so big that the company stops using them, they don't care.  They try to hire employees that will stay but if not, that just means they hire someone to replace the one who left.

Honored Contributor

@Bird mama wrote:

@lovesrecess   Who mentioned quitting first, your niece or her boss?

If your niece brought up leaving the company because of the behavior of the two new employees, then I'm sorry she tipped her hand with the boss.

If your niece brought up the behavior of the two new employees and the boss said well if you want to leave then please pass on the account information to the two new employees, then I guess the boss showed your niece how much he values her.

I'm retired now however I spent 37 years with the same employer and have encountered all kinds of people in that time.  I've seen the employees who really don't know squat and crawl up the bosses ---.  I've seen the 'climbers' who will throw anyone under the bus to get ahead. 

I survived at my company for a couple of reasons.  One - I was there for the money, plain and simple.  I didn't get hung up on personal satisfaction although I had a few jobs that fit me like a glove.  I never "cliqued" with management.  I also never complained to management.

I became so good at what I did, my reputation spoke for itself.  I left the company respected by lots of people.  I left the company respecting lots of people. 

I've had some crazy management.  A few that knew less than me.  A few that were not suited to management.  One that didn't like me and I didn't like her.

In summary, nobody and I mean nobody was forcing me out of my ability to make a good living with health insurance.  I had goals to meet and when I met all of the financial and professional goals that I listed for myself, I put in my retirement papers.

I had to train 3 people to do the job I did because management knew no other single person was going to be able to keep all the balls in the air.

@Bird mama   In this new economy that has been created by the millienials, life is very different than when I worked, and oftentimes, the boss is in on the ploy to have new employees create so much grief, the employee leave rather than be fired, so as to not be responsible for a termination package.  She probably needs to call a head hunter quickly and have a job in her pocket before she drops her resignation on the company.

Respected Contributor

I understand what she is going through. Corporate jobs are often like that.  It’s cut-throat and not the picnic people picture...

It happened to me. I was made to be a scapegoat intentionally and it ran me off.  Every day was painful. 

Hopefully she has a financial buffer and should look for another job, and try to wait until that happens before quitting.  She could try put in a complaint with HR department.

Until she leaves, she could try to play their game and give some back- I realize it’s stinky, but it’s either be the victim or play the game. Not much else she can do... Mean girls stink.

Trusted Contributor

@Nonametoday wrote:

@Bird mama wrote:

@lovesrecess   Who mentioned quitting first, your niece or her boss?

If your niece brought up leaving the company because of the behavior of the two new employees, then I'm sorry she tipped her hand with the boss.

If your niece brought up the behavior of the two new employees and the boss said well if you want to leave then please pass on the account information to the two new employees, then I guess the boss showed your niece how much he values her.

I'm retired now however I spent 37 years with the same employer and have encountered all kinds of people in that time.  I've seen the employees who really don't know squat and crawl up the bosses ---.  I've seen the 'climbers' who will throw anyone under the bus to get ahead. 

I survived at my company for a couple of reasons.  One - I was there for the money, plain and simple.  I didn't get hung up on personal satisfaction although I had a few jobs that fit me like a glove.  I never "cliqued" with management.  I also never complained to management.

I became so good at what I did, my reputation spoke for itself.  I left the company respected by lots of people.  I left the company respecting lots of people. 

I've had some crazy management.  A few that knew less than me.  A few that were not suited to management.  One that didn't like me and I didn't like her.

In summary, nobody and I mean nobody was forcing me out of my ability to make a good living with health insurance.  I had goals to meet and when I met all of the financial and professional goals that I listed for myself, I put in my retirement papers.

I had to train 3 people to do the job I did because management knew no other single person was going to be able to keep all the balls in the air.

@Bird mama   In this new economy that has been created by the millienials, life is very different than when I worked, and oftentimes, the boss is in on the ploy to have new employees create so much grief, the employee leave rather than be fired, so as to not be responsible for a termination package.  She probably needs to call a head hunter quickly and have a job in her pocket before she drops her resignation on the company.

Sometimes. But, sometimes the boss is, simply, a moron. 

Honored Contributor

Take common sense first.  You need to work, that's why you're working.  Plenty of other places.  Stay, keep your head down and apply to other places.  You don't let somebody else dictate your income. The  HR is the galekeeper.  Their job is to protect the comany.  So don't go to them. 

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

First thing your niece needs to know is to NOT TURN OVER any information in her brain that she learned on her own for her job or to make it easier for herself to anyone.  Only turn over company manuals & directions to them if she has to and if they ask her any questions her response should always be that she followed the manuals.  Additionally that goes for any contacts that she has built up a rapport with, whether internally or externally...never give their names, contact info or how they helped or what they helped with.  Or clean up the contact info and just leave the name & contact info...no department name, company name, no title, etc.  If these 2 newbies are trying to 'sink' your niece, then she should make sure they will have to find a way to 'swim' on their own!  She should start getting rid of any notes she has that she wrote up on her own to make the job easier for herself.  She needs to start cleaning house and her tracks.  If she has been doing this for six years she should know just about everything about her job by now.

Second she should be documenting everything with her name, date & time and include the initials of anyone else that was also involved with doing the work.

Third, I suspect these 2 newbies may know the boss, or what I really think is they were placed in those positions by someone in a higher position and the boss has no alternative but to keep them.  The reason I believe the last instance is this...were those positions open in the department or were they just created 'out of thin air' for these 2 newbies?  If those positions did not previously exist then you know the answer.  The positions were created so they could be placed there!  Your last sentence says it all!  

And tell her to get her resume updated and send out for any opportunities she sees.  After 6 years she must have some contacts elsewhere that can give her leads.  Good luck to her...been in similar situation.  HR personnel are useless...they side with management.  Why?  Because they are hired by management, not the peons, so their allegiance is to management.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Bosses may not be morons, but they do have favorites, "teacher's pet" if you will.

Where I work, the manager lets one supervisor get away with murder.

The supervisor can do no wrong, even though a lot of good people have left because of this supervisor.

Oh, just in case anyone thinks there is any "hanky-panky" going on between the two of them, both are female, the manager has a husband, and the supervisor is gay.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Fighting for a job where it seems apparent that you're not valued seems to me to be a self defeating endeavor.  And HR is BS.

No one there is going to stand up and cheer if she "wins". 

I am so glad I don't work in the corporate environment anymore.  Working for myself isn't easy, but I don't dread the daily interactions and politics.  I make my own decisions.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

There are always going to be awful co-workers and/or bosses. You learn to either ride it out or go elsewhere, where it's bound to happen again in one form or another. Everybody's expendable and replaceable. 

That's life. 

6 years, in this era, is a long time for a relatively young person to be at one company. (I'm assuming OPs niece is relatively young)  Most people will have 5 or 6 or more employers/different jobs (at least) in their work lifetime. It's doubtful that OPs niece will spend the rest of her life at the same job no matter what. 

Sometimes, moving on isn't a bad thing. 

Honored Contributor

My son's friend was just let go from his job because he complained more than once to HR about a supervisor who was abusive. The company he works for does have HR in the building, but this company is not US owned. My son's friend is quite cerebral and a little quirky so I can see how this happened to him, but it does not make it right.  This guy was the Master at his job, but evidently so are many others. As far as the woman in this thread, I would look for another job ASAP and in the mean time make life a living hell for those two B----es, they won't be expecting that. If you don't stick up for yourself no one else will.