Honored Contributor

Re: Would you let co workers force you out?

Strange, we hearing it second had so we don't know what's really happening.  It's obvious that she doesn't get along with the newbies.  Personality clashes do happen in the workplace.  If she needs the job then quitting isn't an option.  It would be fool hardy to just up and quit.  It's easier to find a new job when you already have job.  She did make a BIG mistake by threatening to quit.  Bosses don't like threats.  I was manager for years I always responded similarly when someone played  that "or I'll quit" card.  She didn't handle that well at all and now she can't go to him for assistance.  It does sound to me like she spends too much time worrying about what the newbies are or are not doing.  She isn't their boss.  She doesn't have cover for them or do their work.  She should just do her work and avoid them as much as possible.  She's young, that's not a forever job for her.  She should update her resume, look for g good job and then leave.

Honored Contributor

It is really hard to work with people you don't like. If your niece is good at her job and enjoys her work, I wouldn't let these two run me out. Her boss was really no help to her, could there be someone else she could speak to? Is it possible she could get transferred to another department? Good jobs are hard to come by, if I were her I would think long and hard about coming to my decision.

Respected Contributor

@lovesrecessI worked for a company for 20 years and was in a similar situation. I ended up leaving and went on to work for another company .I  too spoke with HR   and they informed me they had too much money vested in the "trouble". She was actually a supervisor and seven people left due to her high stressors.  Needless to say, she has since left and taken a different job.  Karma always comes around, good luck to your family.

Trusted Contributor

He.l no!  Those stupid women need to be called on the carpet.  Nothing worse then taking credit for someone else’s work.  What skanks.  Good luck to your niece!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Scooby Doo wrote:

I'm not so sure that quitting a good paying job is the right answer.  She sounds like she may still be young and inexperienced in this type of situation.  It's probably going to happen again, so she needs to learn how to deal with it.  Those two women are voltures who sense her weakness and will prey on her.  Then they will turn on each other.  I've seen it happen time and again.  She needs to be strong and beat them at their own game.  Maybe talk to a career coach?  

The boss' statement that "if you decide to quit......." is like telling a child "if you run away from home who's going to feed you" type of thing.  He's not going to be threatened.  It's dog eat dog in the corporate world and you have to learn to survive.

@Scooby Doo   @lovesrecess 

I'm stunned at the comments suggesting she should just slink away from a great job she loves!   Women need to learn to stand up for themselves .... there will be conflict on EVERY job she ever has!   

Since the supervisor wasn't helpful, she needs to talk to HR and document enough for them to know she will be trouble if this isn't handled properly.  They need to be aware of this developing problem.

If HR isn't helpful ....  I say find a good EMPLOYMENT LAW attorney and book a consultation.   Usually no charge, but even if she's out of pocket a hundred bucks or more, it may be the best money she ever spends ....  and saves the job she loves!

No woman should ever threaten to quit .....  that's coming from a position of weakness and won't help matters at all!   Even a HINT of a lawsuit, because things weren't handled properly, can strike fear in a employer's heart!!

Valued Contributor

Why stay in an environment that is making you stressed and unhappy?  I would secure employment before I quit.  

She needs to take the hint that she is not valued.  She told the boss and he did not care that she might leave - that speaks volumes.  Lawsuits and complaining to HR will not accomplish anything.  Who wants to stay at a job where you have to document everything in order to justify your existence.

Life is too short to be unhappy and dreading to go to work five days out of the week.  

If the two new hires are work dodgers the boss will soon find out - he might even call her to return - personallly, I would not go back to such a sorry atmosphere.

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Nightowlz wrote:

I would stay there until I found something else. Next time a deadline comes up call in sick so the others can stay to finish the job.

My SIL just quit her job at Hobby Lobby which she has had for over 20 yrs because the boss gave her a letter stating where/when she could use her cane but she cannot use in on the floor while she it working??? I think that's against the law? She should have never quit. She should have made them fire her. If it was me I would see an attorney.

@Nightowlz.  I'd say Hobby Lobby was on a very slippery slope.  They are clearly out of compliance with the law.  She should contact the EEOC for guidance.  This company has a history of doing just what they please.  Even their stores are out of compliance e with the ADA.  There's no way a wheelchair bound person could get through the door of our local store.

Hobby Lobby doesn't care about things like that.  This is the company that refuses to include birth control in their insurance plan.   It's 1950, you know.

Respected Contributor

Any career coach wd tell her to hang in while she looks for another job. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

In those cicumstances I would look around for a job, and leave when I found one.  I don't think I'd quit now unless it's a field with a lot of openings right now.

She'll lose seniority if she leaves but if the bosses like the do-nothings, she is probably better off looking elsewhere. 

Sometimes that's not possible, though.  If she can't afford a move right now, she works harder to outline her contributions as her own, so they can't steal credit.  Just my thoughts.  The workplace can be a real jungle.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Just my $0.02, but bosses don't like "tattle-tails", and they'll come down more harshly on the one doing the tattling, that those being tattled on.

Bosses don't want to have to take care of "playground spats".

They want adults to act like adults, not like little children.

HR is there to protect the company, and not the employee.

Go to a lawyer? Threaten a lawsuit? Do that, and you'll be painting a target on your back.

If you thought life at work was hell before, it'll be hell times ten after you go to a lawyer and threaten the boss with a lawsuit.

And for the record, when I say "you", I mean "you" in the general, all enclusive sense, and not "you" in the singular.

Should the niece quit?

Only she can decide that for herself.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.