Respected Contributor

@tockerman wrote:

personally the server should have said no to him if they knew or even though he was drunk? the manager should have come over and explain to them? if something happen to that guy the couple could sue the restruant?

@tockerman...best answer.

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.
Esteemed Contributor

You did the right thing and its exactly what I would have done.  I lost a grandfather and uncle to a drunk driver when I was two years old so I don't have a lot of patience and sympathy for drunks/drunkdrivers.  I don't think tipsy or drunk people are funny or cute; I find them disgusting.  JMHO!

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Honored Contributor

Yes, I would have intervened if I saw a drunken man get behind the wheel of a car.   

I am curious as to why the wife brought him inside the restaurant in that condition.   Obviously she has her hands full.    

Honored Contributor

I'm still not sure why everyone assumes, when they see a couple, that it's going to be the man who is the driver?

Respected Contributor

Re: Would you intervene?

[ Edited ]

I'd speak to the restaurant manager about it before they left.  Once he got on the road, had he been driving, he could have crashed before the police could reach him.  The restaurant served him, so it's something they should monitor.  Hopefully they would.   I think it's great that you made sure he didn't drive.

Valued Contributor

I would and I have.

You have sacrificed nothing and no one.
Esteemed Contributor

I  definitely would have!  I've called the police several times over the years for various things I've seen --  like kids being left in  cars. 

Honored Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

Yes, I would have intervened if I saw a drunken man get behind the wheel of a car.   

I am curious as to why the wife brought him inside the restaurant in that condition.   Obviously she has her hands full.    

Probably to put food in his stomach to lessen the effects of alcohol he was already feeling. Better to eat than not to eat.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

This happened last night. A group of friends were in a local hotel celebrating the 34th birthday of an Orange County man. One of the friends, a woman, decided she wanted to drive home even though she was drunk. The man from OC tried to prevent her from driving but she wouldn't listen, got into her BMW and started it up. To stop her the man walked into the path of her vehicle and laid down. The woman ran him over and drove away. He died an hour later.  The authorities know the woman's identity and are looking for her. 

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Esteemed Contributor

@The Monkey on My Back wrote:

This happened last night. A group of friends were in a local hotel celebrating the 34th birthday of an Orange County man. One of the friends, a woman, decided she wanted to drive home even though she was drunk. The man from OC tried to prevent her from driving but she wouldn't listen, got into her BMW and started it up. To stop her the man walked into the path of her vehicle and laid down. The woman ran him over and drove away. He died an hour later.  The authorities know the woman's identity and are looking for her. 

@Say Nay ... OMG .. this is terrible... why in God's name did he do that? .... he lost his life because he made a very foolish decision to stop the woman!! .. I would have stopped her in some way & called the cops !!