Honored Contributor

Re: Would you be happy with this gift? Help!

I like that umbrella idea!

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'd put the $30 in a Christmas envelope and let the recipient go buy what they want. 

Esteemed Contributor

http://www.qvc.com/content/holiday/gifts-under-30.html

Keep Your Face To The Sunshine and You Will Not See The Shadow
Respected Contributor

If you are really intent on something along these lines, I would choose a Yeti.  They hold hot/cold for a long, long time.  Personally I would never use one of them.  Give me a certificate to a restaurant/store.

Honored Contributor

Well..........I gotta tell ya...........The company I worked for stressed "adult" gifts for the "grab bag"...........and some of the recipients received ADULT gifts from "those exotic places along the freeway".....................

You need to watch your verbiage.................

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

A woman I used to work with stressed out so badly at Christmas when her family went this route. And when I suggested the donation idea she got a "are you serious?" look on her face.  Her father said rather loudly at a holiday gathering when they were either opening gifts or discussing them and this idea came up - "What the hell kind of gift is that?  That's no gift"

Guess the apple didn't fall far from the tree.

The idea of giving at the holidays was lost on them. 

@MoJoV wrote:

The last few years our family has done alot of donating in the recipient's name....for the adults of course.  We all have most everything we need and this makes us all happy. Everyone has a special place in their heart for certain charities. Mine is The Elephant Sanctuary in Tennessee.  

Honored Contributor

I think if people are "unhappy" with their gift at this type of exchange then they should be given a nice big stocking full of poop.

Respected Contributor

What about some scratch tickets for either the or women. I always like getting them.

Honored Contributor

I would like a tumbler more than a scarf, wallet, soap, candle, don't wear costume jewelry,  etc.  I would not use mani/pedi gift certificates  and fancy food things maybe not for everyone.  Stamps are not used much by some but maybe nice to have on hand.  I have only used 2 stamps all year.  I would like an umbrella, lottery tickets, a good flashlight, throw and other useful things.  An Amazon gift certificate would be great since there is something for everyone there.      

Honored Contributor

I have gotten gloves at this kind of exchange and really appreciated them.  Isotoners and some thinsulate lined velvety ones in a pretty print.  One size fits all (or most) types.

People are always losing gloves!