Esteemed Contributor

Re: Would you be happy with this gift? Help!

Nice gift but not for someone 85. jmo
Honored Contributor

@mima

For the woman .... a gift certificate for a manicure and pedicure.   You can't go wrong with "pampering".

Honored Contributor

In my world, people have more mugs and cups than they can use. Go to any thrift store and look at the shelve of mugs people give away. 

You will get a million different opinions but here are a few of mine. 

Nice throw, neutral colors no prints, for men or women.

Gift card for bookstore, most everyone reads something or likes certain magazines.

For women, a neutral flameless candle

for men, they have a great flashlight here that is magnetic, and has several functions. My 20 year old son thought is was pretty neat even.

For either, the My Grandma's coffee cakes. We think they are really good.

A really nice umbrella (as long as you live somewhere it rains). There are some nice styles that fold up small for keeping in the car, but are full size.

Honored Contributor

I know this is water under the bridge, but it would have been better to choose names.  Shopping for a specific person is much easier than trying to come up with something clever, useful, interesting and fun for a room full of people.  You end up shopping for universal junk which is unfortunate when the dollar limit is $30.  I wouldn't want to spend more than $10 on junk.

Honored Contributor

The good thing about these exchanges is you can exchange your gift for someone elses-I forget how it works but that can be fun if you don't want what you have and someone takes it away but not so fun if you wanted what you have.

The ones I went to had so many nice gifts and imaginative ones that most everyone was pretty happy. But we didn't have men. I listed some ideas before and I thought people had some good ideas here too. Anyway hope you have fun whatever you decide!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@DukeBlueNan wrote:

It wouldn't appeal to me at all but I do like the idea of a mani/pedi gift card. Can't go wrong with that!

This would be totally wasted on me. I'd never use it. It's just not my thing.

I think these type of exchanges end up being a waste of many people's time and money. If they are going to have a gift exchange, they need to draw names. If not that, perhaps have everyone bring in things to donate for a food pantry or for an 'adopt a family' kind of charity. 

I've been to similar exchanges at work related events and simply hate them. I hate shopping for them, and I see how most people don't care for their gift and just think what a waste of time and resources.

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

How about a fruit basket, a nice box of chocolates or gourmet popcorn?  A gift basket full of treats?  A basket with hand lotion, slipper socks and a nice candle?   Mugs with gourmet hot chocolate mix ( Williams Sonoma) also they have great peppermint bark.  Beautiful new tea towels or hand towels,    Postage stamps and a new pen.

I prefer to give and receive something that can be consumed or used.  I have too much stuff and hate to donate a gift that I will never use.

Yep! Unless you know exactly what people want/need, something consumable is the way to go for so many people, mostly those in the later years. Many young people don't have a lot of things yet, and many need or want them, but some of us love things that won't be here in a year, but used and enjoyed and gone!

Esteemed Contributor

We draw names. It makes it a lot more personal and the recipient usually gets something they can really use, want and appreciate.
Honored Contributor

The last time I participated in a gift exchange like this the most popular gift were scratch-off tickets.

Honored Contributor

Don't over think it, it sounds like a nice and useful gift.  Everyone drinks something.  Yes, I'd be happy with that gift.