Honored Contributor

Re: Would you be happy with this gift? Help!

I got a oil mister at one of those exchanges.   You put your olive oil or vegetable oil in it & it comes out in a nice mist.    Very handy.

Towels.    I've seen sets of bowls with lids.    One of those outside water hoses that shrink up, can't remember what it's called.   Pocket hose??

Our group has many college football fans so a stadium blanket is nice.  A calendar, either a wall calendar or a one-a-day desk calendars.    A "coffee table" book.    Set of pens.   Some kind of game, board game or chess set or card game.    Some kind of car gadget, even for a woman.    

What are the interests of the people in your area?    Find a book or momento of some interesting landmark in your area.

@Sooner  not a dustcloth & Pledge!

Tervis tumbler is excellent.

@mima wrote:

Our family decided for the adults to buy a gift for between $20 and $30 for an adult Christmas exchange.  The women are suppose to bring a woman's gift and the men bring a man's gift.  Were going to do some kind of game to exchange them. 

We need to buy something not knowing who is going to get it.

Tervis is having a sale today and free shipping.  I'm thinking of getting a coffee mug and lid and a 24 oz. tumbler and lid for each gift.  I'm thinking about getting the saphire mug/tumbler set for the man's gift and the ruby mug/tumbler set for the women.

Would you be happy with this gift if you got it under the circumstances above?   The age range of the adults will be 18 to about 85 years old.

Can you think of anything better?

Thanks a bunch!!!

Super Contributor

@mima, there are candles you can buy online that have rings inside once you burn them.  They are in a foil pouch.  They also sell bath bombs that have rings inside once you use them.  The rings are sterling silver, you dont know what the ring will look like until you burn the candle or use the bath bomb.  I've given them as gifts and they have always been a hit.  For men, on the other hand, I'm drawing a blank.  They are so hard to buy for!!

Honored Contributor

I've been to these gift exchanges before, and I think it's best to not overthink it.  usually, the gifts purchased can be swapped, and not everyone goes home with something they love, but they haven't spent a lot of money on what they purchased...these parties are more about getting together with friends and family, and the gift is not so important 

I could find something wrong with just about every suggestion offered....but it isn't the end of the world if I receive a small gift I don't care for.  It's the thought that counts 

Respected Contributor

I would not use a tumbler, but in this situation I don't see anything wrong with it.  Since you are able to swap, someone in the group may want one if not the original recipient.

I actually like the idea of a tote bag, but not those pictured.

Frequent Contributor

how about a nice wallet, one for a lady and one for a man, and if you have anything left over from the budget put some scratch offs in the wallets. Then wrap it differently then you normally would wrap a wallet, use your imagination when wrapping so it looks fun to open.

Honored Contributor

That's not a gift I would want.  But I'm a PITA to shop for.

Respected Contributor

That's not something I would use.  I would probably trade it. 

I really never like those kind of gift exchanges.  I always got stuck with the worst gifts for some reason.

Like @faeriemoon, I am a pain to shop for.  I admit it.  LOL

Honored Contributor

Maybe Winter scarves?  One in, say, grey or a neutral, for the man; the other in a cheerful plaid or paisley for the woman.  Not wool, though, as it could be irritating to the neck. Fleece would be better. I really can't think of anything else right now.  I'll be back later, maybe tomorrow.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

I'm a big fan of good quality umbrellas with auto open AND auto close.  Most people don't buy good ones for themselves and you can never have too many as people always lose them.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

@software wrote:

I got a oil mister at one of those exchanges.   You put your olive oil or vegetable oil in it & it comes out in a nice mist.    Very handy.

Towels.    I've seen sets of bowls with lids.    One of those outside water hoses that shrink up, can't remember what it's called.   Pocket hose??

Our group has many college football fans so a stadium blanket is nice.  A calendar, either a wall calendar or a one-a-day desk calendars.    A "coffee table" book.    Set of pens.   Some kind of game, board game or chess set or card game.    Some kind of car gadget, even for a woman.    

What are the interests of the people in your area?    Find a book or momento of some interesting landmark in your area.

@Sooner  not a dustcloth & Pledge!

Tervis tumbler is excellent.

@software

Honestly, I would rather have dustcloths and Pledge than blankets, throws, mugs, candles, bath stuff, lotions, coffee table books, etc. etc.  I have hauled boxloads of all those things to the Salvation Army and I STILL can't get rid of them.  For me AND for my mom.  I've been "thrown" to pieces! LOL!!!  I get mugs from all corners (work, gifts, etc.).  

Please no gadgets, things to display and dust, fill my cabinets with, or store. Get me something to use up, spend (gift card), or eat.  No more STUFF!  Please!  

I guess this sounds mean, but honestly I've cleaned out two houses in recent years and two offices and am trying to get to my own house--which of course is always and forever last on the list.  So I'm simply "stuffed" by now.  I'm sure the people at the Salvation Army think I'm nuts or some kind of hoarder, but I swear as soon as I get a box gone it seems like another one or two take its place.  Upcoming?  ANOTHER house to clean out.

Is it just me?  Do I just live in a hobbit hole and y'all have 6,000 sq. ft houses that you can take in all of this?  Is anyone else in this leaky boat filled with stuff????  Has gifting outlived itself in many instances?  Is it just me who is overwhelmed?  And I am being serious here, I am simply overwhelmed. . . I feel bad about admitting and saying this, but it is the truth.  I think I needed to say that. . . I truly feel bad about it, but to be honest, I really don't want more stuff.