Super Contributor

Re: Would you announce if you were going through menopause?

On 7/25/2014 Nancy Drew said:
On 7/25/2014 Krimpette said:

While it's nothing to be ashamed of, I'm not sure I see any need to announce it. In what context did Jill announce it?

When she was selling sheets and telling how hot she was. That her inner child was playing with matches, starting a bon fire. Announcement might be not be the right word.

So, she didn't exactly announce it then? Jill is young. Maybe she is starting perimenopause. That can go on for ten years.

Honored Contributor

Jill is 46. I only remember this because her birthday is the month after mine and we turned 40 a month apart.

So yes it's very possible for her to be going through this already.

Esteemed Contributor

{#emotions_dlg.laugh}I complain about it to anyone that will listen. In a word yes, why should I be the only one that suffers?Wink

Esteemed Contributor

On 7/25/2014 Preds said:

OMG ... You are too funny!

Valued Contributor

If she needs advice I'll be willing to give it. This is probably perimenopause. What she'll find is that her emotions will slowly peter out. The good stuff that you need to make life enjoyable. Now they say you can't use HRT because it causes breast cancer. I know someone who still uses it and has had a cancer scare. She'll be totally done at 54 years old. I was.

Honored Contributor

No, why would anyone else care?

Valued Contributor

On 8/6/2014 RetRN said:

No, why would anyone else care?

Thanks, RN, for being so sympathetic. How about - misery loves company?

Esteemed Contributor

Only as a warning to the people around me.

Keepin' it real.
Contributor

I do mention being in menopause to certain, close friends. I'm grateful and relieved that in this particular day and age, it is something that is being spoken about much more freely than in my mom's day. Back then, no one would ever dare speak of it. Mom's hot flashes lasted well into her late 70's and she suffered so with them...I guess I have quite a few years left to be dealing with that. Living in an area (NC) where the summers are so hot and humid really exacerbates the flashes and boy, let me tell you, they're FUN!! (Not!) The best part is not having to raise my house thermostat at night in the winter months, keeping the rooms nice and cool. I so look forward to that time of the year.