Honored Contributor

Re: Would u offer a mask to others at shower or wedding?

I think that having a wedding/ shower with a bunch of guests is hazardous to everyones health. and if someone shows up without a mask and refuses to wear one---they wouldn't be allowed in my front door-----a no brainer!!!!

Honored Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

@bikerbabe wrote:
You said they moved it to a smaller room in the church?. It sounds unwise even WITH masks. Large indoor gatherings are NO.

Exactly!  It seems that some people (not meaning in this thread but I have a friend) think that masks are foolproof!  They only help to slow down the spread but if you can breathe air, you can still breathe in the smaller particles of the virus.  One still needs to social distance (even better outdoors) while wearing a mask.

The fact that there will be a group of 70 people in a closed indoor room is cause for concern.  What about eating, drinking & dancing?  People will take masks off to eat and I can't see anyone wearing a mask while dancing.

Some people just don't get it.  I know several people who either canceled their weddings or only had very small gatherings of less than 10 people to get married with a reception for next year....and at this point even next year could be questionable.

@haddon9, ITA. But my (and my and likely your) assessment is in no way minimizes the need to wear a mask.

They are part of the small arsenal we have against this virus. But masks, especially without adequate distincing, are not 100 percent effective at all.

Case in point from today's Los Angeles Times:

California’s Assembly leader said Monday he will be delaying legislative hearings after a Los Angeles lawmaker tested positive for the coronavirus, forcing the state Capitol to close so it could be disinfected.

The announcements came after Assemblywoman Autumn Burke (D-Marina Del Rey) and four others who work in the building tested positive for the coronavirus, which likely spread as staffers and legislators met to pass the state budget in late June.

Burke said in a tweet Monday that she was told Friday that she had a “mask-to-mask” exposure to COVID-19 on June 26, when the Assembly met in person to pass the state budget. The Democratic lawmaker said she tested positive on Saturday.

“Currently, my daughter and I have no symptoms, but will be remaining in quarantine until released by a doctor,” Burke wrote on Twitter. Through a spokeswoman, Burke declined to comment further.

The Capitol will be closed for one week while undergoing a deep cleaning, according to representatives of both the state Senate and Assembly.

In a letter to lawmakers, Assembly Speaker Anthony Rendon (D-Lakewood) said the confirmed cases of coronavirus in the Capitol will delay legislative hearings in the coming weeks.

Lawmakers were scheduled to return from summer recess July 13 to finish the busy final weeks of the legislative session, which ends Aug. 31.

“I have instructed my staff to develop a schedule for hearings and other Assembly business that will allow us to conduct our work but minimize the days in the Capitol building,” Rendon wrote to lawmakers, according to a copy provided to The Times.

Rendon said in the letter that he did not yet know when the Assembly will resume its session.

The Assembly has five confirmed cases, said John Casey, a spokesman for Rendon. Casey said the Assembly is not identifying if the five confirmed cases are lawmakers or staffers.

The Assembly announced June 22 the first confirmed case of the novel coronavirus in the state Capitol after a staffer tested positive. That employee had minimal interactions with just one co-worker while wearing a mask, wrote Debra Gravert, the Assembly’s chief administrative officer, in an email to employees.

One Senate staffer tested positive last month, while two employees who work in district offices have confirmed cases of COVID-19.

The Legislature has taken unprecedented measures to reduce the spread of COVID-19. Both houses halted sessions in March to lessen the risk of the virus spreading in the Capitol. The Assembly returned May 4 and the Senate resumed May 11 in order to continue their legislative work and pass a budget, all while adhering to physical distancing and mask protocols.

Staff and lawmakers were asked to take their temperatures at home and monitor their temperatures throughout the day.

In addition, anyone entering the Capitol was required to undergo health screenings and temperature checks. Elevators were limited to one person per ride and strict limits were established on in-person seating for public hearings.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

@Mominohio I appreciate everyone taking the time to respond, including you. I felt compelled to followup and mention that I never said anything about "hassling" people. In fact, the offer I was suggesting was an act of kindness. ...and if you knew me in real life, you would know that I am very respectful of others (and hence my leadership and kindness in considering bringing masks for others).

Offering them at someone else's function isn't kind. It's not leadership. It's way overstepping the boundaries of someone elses home/event. It's controlling and rude. It's paranoid.  Now bringing them and placing them out for public consumption on the buffet table would be ok if it was YOUR event, but one should never show up the hosts or call into question their choices (or lack of). Better to simply not go, or not stay.

Honored Contributor

No, I would not offer a mask.  If I was that concerned, I wouldn't even consider attending the event.   

I have not attended several memorial services lately due to the fact masks were optional, and only social distancing was going to be observed.  With a large presence of out of town family, and a small meeting room, I felt I could not risk the exposure.   

It's not my place to police what others do.   

Esteemed Contributor

@Mominohio I think this is one of those conversations where we should just respectfully agree to disagree. I appreciate you sharing your perspective - just the same.

Respected Contributor

Wait, who is having a shower or wedding now??   That is crazy.

And not allowed in NM.  No gatherings of more than 5 people.  Of course, I'm sure people are violating that but I wouldn't be offering any masks because I wouldn't be there.   No respect for that kind of behavior.

Respected Contributor

I absolutely would not be going. 

Super Contributor

@Wsmom The "huge" anti-mask movement is being driven by ignorant people that do not know what they are talking about.  I think those people are the ones whining the loudest, but not necessarily that huge of a movement.  If masks are so horrible then why do medical professionals wear them during surgery, for example.  Not talking about the N95s either, just the basical surgical masks.  Medical professionals wear them to protect the patient during surgery or other care and there is NO harm to the wearer, especially since they wear them for hours on end. 

This anti-mask movement is political in nature and not factual or based in science.  Unreal that people cannot even follow basic guidelines to protect others around them and are so beyond selfish.  This horrible narrative is what is keeping our country in this deadly pandemic and causing the outbreaks with many hospitals within the hotspot states like Florida and Texas with ICUs at 100% capacity.  This ongoing ignorance is going to completely tank our economy as well, so opening everything back up super fast and not following distancing or mask guidelines was the exact way to continue our economic declines.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

What do you think about the idea of bringing a box of those surgical masks (kept completely sanitary) to a bridal shower and\or a small wedding and offering one to people not wearing a mask? Would you do this? (I am thinking about it as I try to decide on whether or not to attend these two events).

@Goldengate8361  I too think this would only be a good idea if you were putting on the bridal shower and/or the small wedding.  But, it is a good idea in general and honestly don't understand why grocery stores don't also offer them to people at the door instead of telling them they can't enter. There always exists the possibiity that maybe some just don't have a clean one to wear? I know hard to believe that anyone would not have plenty of masks on hand or would just flatly refuse to wear one...

Maybe you could present the idea first to the person throwing these events?

Respected Contributor

No, I don't think it would be a good idea to bring a box of masks to a function you are not hosting, unless it is cleared by the hostess first.   I wouldn't be attending anyway.  Not a good time to be holding large gatherings of people.  Two of my family members and a good friend have postponed all showers and weddings until next year.  They are still getting married on the date they chose. It will just be immediate family only (moms, dads, sibs) in the backyards of the different parents. They plan on hosting receptions next year and repeating their vows in front of the guests. I feel so bad for all involved. A wedding is a very big deal. But it is for the better.  How awful it would be to know that someone may have caught a virus at a gathering you had.