Honored Contributor

Re: Would u offer a mask to others at shower or wedding?

You said they moved it to a smaller room in the church?. It sounds unwise even WITH masks. Large indoor gatherings are NO.
Esteemed Contributor

If I was part of the wedding party / hosting the wedding and it was understood  masks would be offered to those who don't bring them -- yes, I'd offer and then turn people away if they refuse. Wedding rules.

If I was another guest, I'd arrive with mask. If I find few are wearing masks, I'd make a decision whether it was an event I wanted to remain at. I wouldn't bring masks for others. 

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

No, I would ask the hostess if she is making masks mandatory, if not I would not go.

Honored Contributor

@Love my grandkids 

I guess I missed that.  So much for speed reading!

Honored Contributor

Right now, only the people hosting an event should be stating out front if masks are required or optional, and all those invited should be informed well before the event. 

Guests have no business bringing extras, offering them or interfering in any way with that at the event. If someone isn't comfortable with what they see going on at an event, it is their responsibility to leave, not to force their desires on someone else's event  or passive aggressively hassle guests to do what they wish to be done. Just leave, or if you know it isn't going to be the way you want it, don't go in the first place.

Esteemed Contributor

@Mominohio I appreciate everyone taking the time to respond, including you. I felt compelled to followup and mention that I never said anything about "hassling" people. In fact, the offer I was suggesting was an act of kindness. ...and if you knew me in real life, you would know that I am very respectful of others (and hence my leadership and kindness in considering bringing masks for others).

Contributor

Yes, absolutely I would!  I would mention it somewhere on the invitation: in the effort to keep (bride, mother ...) safe and healthy leading up to the big event, we are requesting that everyone wear a mask to the gathering. Masks will be provided for anyone who doesn’t have one. 

I realize that not everyone feels the need to wear a mask, but there are too many vulnerable people who we need to protect  and take care of. I’d rather have my 98 year old mother in law protected than worry about the feelings of another guest who doesn’t want to wear one and would be selfish enough not to understand that. 

Honored Contributor

@bikerbabe wrote:
You said they moved it to a smaller room in the church?. It sounds unwise even WITH masks. Large indoor gatherings are NO.

Exactly!  It seems that some people (not meaning in this thread but I have a friend) think that masks are foolproof!  They only help to slow down the spread but if you can breathe air, you can still breathe in the smaller particles of the virus.  One still needs to social distance (even better outdoors) while wearing a mask.

The fact that there will be a group of 70 people in a closed indoor room is cause for concern.  What about eating, drinking & dancing?  People will take masks off to eat and I can't see anyone wearing a mask while dancing.

Some people just don't get it.  I know several people who either canceled their weddings or only had very small gatherings of less than 10 people to get married with a reception for next year....and at this point even next year could be questionable.

Honored Contributor

Not to hurt any one and I am not directing this at anyone particular but lately I read about cancelling and postponing  "weddings." 

Am I the only one who thinks is it the "wedding" that is the big deal or is it getting married that is the point of the whole thing? I'm thinking the big deal "wedding" is winning the race here.  

That is sort of telling to me about priorities. . . Woman Frustrated

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

Not to hurt any one and I am not directing this at anyone particular but lately I read about cancelling and postponing  "weddings." 

Am I the only one who thinks is it the "wedding" that is the big deal or is it getting married that is the point of the whole thing? I'm thinking the big deal "wedding" is winning the race here.  

That is sort of telling to me about priorities. . . Woman Frustrated

@Sooner I agree.  I was discussing this with a neighbor just the other day.  We both felt that why not just have a very small wedding with immediate family and save the money that would be used for a big shindig and use it to go towards a house instead?  ...after many long months a wedding reception is just not the same anyway. 

I don't understand why a wedding has to always be a big "event" for first time brides.