Respected Contributor

I had posted before that my husband's father passed away last month. I asked a question about when one finds out about the will. One of his brothers (a co-executor) did just update us.

While he was alive, my father-in-law discussed his will. He had told his sons that he was going to give money upon his death to each grandchild. Some planner sold him this idea, and the sons didn't like it. The reason was each son had a different number of children. For example, we have the least, having one daughter. Others have 2 or 3. So a couple felt it was unfair to us.

Turns out, there is a substantial amount of money. I think it would have been better to divide it among his sons, and let them help out their kids any way they would like. All are very good parents. But, it doesn't bother me as unfair. If it is going to each grandchild, they will all individually get the same.

We are hoping 2 granddaughters will be excluded from this because they got lots of money from grandpa (to go to college for example) while he was alive. There was discussion about this with the brother who is co-executor and my father-in-law. We'll soon see!

Hyacinth