Honored Contributor

Re: Would the 10-year-old You Recognize the 50-Plus You?

I don't understand questions like this,

Honored Contributor

Well, I guess I would have to say, yes. I still have many of the same likes.....reading, animals,nature, people, etc. My faith has grown stronger and gives me peace and satisfaction. I was drawn to spiritual things even before my parents were.  I really can't find words to explain it.  

Trusted Contributor

hmm. Great question...I don't really remember what I was like as a 10 year old...??Smiley Tongue

Take time every day to enjoy where you are without a need to fix it
Honored Contributor

I think of this all the time.

I'm remarkably the same, in my head, though my body is a lot fluffier now than it was when I was 10 - othewise, I still love school and cooking, baking, reading - all the things I enjoyed way back then.

~ house cat ~
Respected Contributor

Oh yes!  Both in personality and physically.  Now, 6+ decades later, people (who have only known me for the past 15 years or so) can instantly pick me out of a group picture of about 45 kids.

Honored Contributor

@CareBears wrote:

@SeaMaiden I understand completely, but as an outsider looking in I think you are a beautiful person inside and out, and your 10 years old self should be very proud of the woman you turned out to be!

@CareBears  You are sweet.  

Super Contributor

I read the forums regularly but hardly post.

Just seeing the title made me incredibly sad ....

At 10 I was so confident and the world was mine.

Life turned out to be much harder and dysfunctional than imagined and I thought I had overcome it all.

But what did me in ... was my DD who suffers from mental health / personality disorders and eventually got involved in drugs and alcohol.  She was adopted at birth and we would learn many years later that many of her birth relatives suffer from the same aflliction.

My 58 year old self is almost the exact opposite of my 10 year old self.  I am sad and depressed, I isolate myslef, I second guess every decision ....

I have been in therapy a long time.  I truly believe that the combination of traumatic, ongoing abuse I suffered as a powerless child, coupled with the abuse I suffered from my DD as a minor child where again I was powerless has resulted in some form of PTSD.

Just writing this, has been therapeutic.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Absolutely  not!She did nt dream bigger than where she was, she didnt know that she would become  someone , someone who could be so loved and could love, that my parents would come not by birth but by love..That  I would have love so abundantly sometimes  it is overwhelming  , i cry from sheer joy..That God had plans  for  me i couldnt   see through abuse  and pain  That he is using me to share love , when i had none.We are healed by things  we  cannot imagine.

My 10 year old self would be marveling at the life i have , and all from love..  Maryanne 

Frequent Contributor

@free-spirit wrote:

I read the forums regularly but hardly post.

Just seeing the title made me incredibly sad ....

At 10 I was so confident and the world was mine.

Life turned out to be much harder and dysfunctional than imagined and I thought I had overcome it all.

But what did me in ... was my DD who suffers from mental health / personality disorders and eventually got involved in drugs and alcohol.  She was adopted at birth and we would learn many years later that many of her birth relatives suffer from the same aflliction.

My 58 year old self is almost the exact opposite of my 10 year old self.  I am sad and depressed, I isolate myslef, I second guess every decision ....

I have been in therapy a long time.  I truly believe that the combination of traumatic, ongoing abuse I suffered as a powerless child, coupled with the abuse I suffered from my DD as a minor child where again I was powerless has resulted in some form of PTSD.

Just writing this, has been therapeutic.

❤ @free-spirit.

❤❤❤

Honored Contributor

@Karie2022 wrote:

hmm. Great question...I don't really remember what I was like as a 10 year old...??Smiley Tongue

@Karie2022,

Now you are talking. How anyone knows or even thinks about when they are 10, about what they will be 60+ years later. I ain't buying it.

When I was 10 my mind was on tomorrow, and making money to help my mother get us out of the Public Housing Projects. That part I remember well, but 50+ years later. 

As an adult at an early age, money was never a big deal to me. I worked hard, made enough to support myself and my mother(until she died), and enough to be able to race cars around the Midwest for years.

One thing I would never give up for more $$$ was/is my free time. No 2nd job/no working weekends for overtime pay, and making the most of my time away from work. Never one that dressed for what others thought, just ole frugality during my whole life.

Guess as a 10 year old, money meant something to my mother and our family, so I wanted to make more of it. After that, money just wasn't/isn't, high on my list. Lived and still live a good life, but it ain't because of money.

My long winded response after seeing yours @Karie2022

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)