Honored Contributor

Re: Would seniors please share what you do for dental insurance? TIA

When you suddenly find out that you need a crown or you need an implant, insurance comes in very handy. We have Delta with the highest rate dentist in our area.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am on Medicare and get my supplemental coverage thru AARP/United HealthCare.  United HealthCare covers some of the Dental services.  I know they pay for most of dental cleanings & xrays if the practice is on their list of providers. Not sure about anything further (root canals, extractions, etc.).  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Around 9 yrs ago, I paid for Delta Dental (thru Medicare) -- and found that the choices of a dentist are very limited. The plan was called Delta Care (horrible). I googled the names of the dentists in my area that were on the list - and all had BAD reviews on Yelp - and other sites when I googled the dentists names.

I did choose one dentist - and he RIPPED ME OFF for a cleaning - plus I found out he's a SCAMMER.

Fortunately, my neighbor referred me to a local dentist (there are 3 dentists in the office) and he's FANTASTIC. It's a very large, beautiful dental office, state-of-the-art equipment -- and the friendliest women at the front desk. Also, my dental hygenist Valerie is the best. Being a senior (or if u don't have insurance) - they offer a discount + their prices are very reasonable. Haven't had too much dental work done over 8 years -- and my teeth get cleaned every 6 months. Most important is to find a great dentist/dental hygenist. Be aware that there are many SCAM dentists who will tell u that u need expensive work or that u have cavities - when u don't. If u feel that the dentist is taking advantage - always get a 2nd or 3rd opinion. 

We have too many dentists in America -- that's why many of them do cosmetic dentistry --- and some are criminals who will ruin ur teeth.

Ask friends/neighbors for referrals and check out Yelp.

It's not worth getting the insurance - and Delta Care has the worst dentists on the list. For regular Delta Dental that's available to people thru their employers - there are many good dentists on the list.

Best to pay out-of-pocket and choose a dentist of ur choice.

Super Contributor

I'm retired now and needed a lot of dental work done because I neglected it all over the years.  I went with Delta Dental and really believe they saved me lots towards my bills.  Yes, I still had to pay some out of my own pocket but nothing like if I had no dental insurance at all.  Now that I'm all caught up and just need to maintain my teeth I switched to GEHA because it's a cheaper plan and still meets my needs at this time.  

Valued Contributor

Thank you for asking this question because I have the the same dilemma.

Frequent Contributor

My husband and I (70's) have been going to the University of Florida Dental College for quite awhile. Travel time is about 1hr 15 minutes each way for us; but, well worth the trek!  Several of our senior friends use them too and very happy with their service as well.  The savings is tremendous. For example, I had a dental implant in my area a few years ago that cost over $6,000. My husband is currently finalizing his implant procedure through the school which is so much signifantly less! Students are the dentists and their work is assisted with consultations, and supervisied by professional dentists assigned to students. Options are given to you for work needed or wanted based upon recommendations. 

One drawback is that appointments take much longer. Everyone is very respectful and nice too. Therefore, if there's access to a dental college near you, it's worth the savings! 

Of course right now, the college is not open for patients. We are waiting for reopening. 

Good luck.