Honored Contributor

Re: Would seniors please share what you do for dental insurance? TIA

I've had the highest level of Delta Dental for 7 years; no complaints, and about $32 a month.  

Trusted Contributor

I have no dental insurance since I retired. Even when I worked, my dentist made clients pay upfront and then submit their bills to the insurance on their own.

Esteemed Contributor

@saltysails  I have Delta Dental, which I have through my former employer.  It is a state plan, so it might be a little better than other companies.  My dentist says this is the best plan to have.  

You might just want to check in your area and see what specials dentists have.  I am always getting advertisements from area dentists with free services and reduced rates.  I think if you are paying cash that they can be fairly reasonable.  Most in my area will do a checkup, xrays, and cleaning for about $99.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Regular Contributor

We had dental insurance until my husband semi retired. We kept it until COBRA ran out. After analyzing the costs involved & verifying the cost of dental care with our dentist, we decided to self insure. We get the cost of the appointment before we go & bring a check with us. It is a better deal than the insurance.

Another thought, if you live close to your state's university dental school, you could look into that. In our state, they provide reasonably priced, well supervised care. Our dentist is on the faculty of our university's program, he has a part time private practice, & is aware of the most recent treatments. Of course, there may be changes to those programs due to Covid-19.

Honored Contributor

@saltysails  Check for dental schools in your town.  The cost is cheaper than anywhere else.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Esteemed Contributor

I think dentists that don't take insurance is because they don't want to give the particpating discount.

always look at the Not-covered and waiting periods

(retiree) Group plans are usually better than Individual plans

usually pay more for No Waiting Period 

sometimes going from group plan to individual plan in less than 60 days waiting period can be waived

Esteemed Contributor

Got Delta.  But if is a plan from my 30 years of teaching.  Not perfect but I can handle whatever comes my way.  And I have had extensive dental treatment. Heredity I guess.  

Honored Contributor

I also have Delta Dental.  It is relatively inexpensive.  I get my teeth cleaned every three months and it covers that. I need something big (like a crown) it pays 50%.

Honored Contributor

I had a dental insurance that was 60 a month each for my husband and I.  when  my dentist dropped te insurance after a couple uears  I asked for recomendations.  The insurance lady who sells us our  medicare suppliments and RX plan said truthfully, unless you are headed for tons of dental work, most insurances at my age 72 and retired arent often worth it.  Both my husband and Ihave decent teeth, and basically get a cleaning 2X a year and xrays omce a year.  We were paying way more for insurance than we  used.  I live in Califrnia and Delta for us is about 3200@yr. each.  Most insurances do not cover implants  we figured it has worked so far for 3 years.  But I might purchase a plan in the future  we pay so much for medicare now because of a glitch.  

it is  a bit  of a gamble, because no one knows what the future will bring.  God help me if my teeth fall out.  But worse comes to worse

,we are in a financial position to to just bite the bullet and pay

i highly recommend seeing one of those insurance agents that sells medicare suppliments, and insurances.  They are wonderful.  No fees.  The input all your statistics and the plans best for you come up.  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

We have a discount plan through Gentle Dental, a chain.  Yes, over the years we have spent thousands on DH but we put our bills on Care Credit ( primarily for dental and medical procedures; interest free if paid within 18mths).  Never have had real dental insurance but fortunately we have great medical ( Medicare and federal BCBS) so we manage.