Valued Contributor

Would seniors please share what you do for dental insurance? TIA

I have been looking online and finding a good dental insurance plan has me stumped.   What have others found to be working for them?  TIA

Trusted Contributor

Re: Would seniors please share what you do for dental insurance? TIA

I have my dental insurance with Delta Dental of Illinois.  It is through a previous state government job so the cost is reasonable and the premium is deducted from my pension.  I have the premium plan, which is $2,000 a year coverage and pays for implants at 50%, just like crowns.  Most dental insurance plans only cover $1,000 a year.

I would suggest you look at any organizations you belong to, any churches (I think the Lutheran church has insurance for members of their denomination), any past employers that may offer it to retired employees, or AARP, especially is it is Delta Dental.  I also had Delta Dental when I was employed and they are prompt in processing the estimate from your dentist, paying their covered expenses, and their service representatives are very informed, friendly, and helpful.

“I can do things you cannot, you can do things I cannot; together we can do great things.” St.Teresa of Calcutta
Respected Contributor

Pay for it when I leave.  My last 3 dentists said it's not worth it.  The annual cap is $1000-1500 for most plans.   And there is usually a deductible.  Do the math.

Honored Contributor

@saltysails  DH and I have been using Delta dental for many years. Very happy with the coverage and price. It runs about $115 a month for both of us.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Since I retired, I no longer have dental insurance. I looked into it, but the deductibles were high and the premiums just didn't make sense for my needs. I go to my dentist every 4 months (well, I used to before the blasted pandemic) and I'm fortunate that the dental practice I go to gives one free cleaning per year, plus a 15% to 20% discount to seniors depending on what is done. As long as I don't need a lot of dental work (knock on wood), it's cheaper for me to just do without insurance. Premiums from several companies would have been around $1500/year for just me (without DH). I spend far less than that with my regular dental needs.

Honored Contributor

@saltysails    I don't think there is such a thing as a red-hot, super duper dental insurance.  They are a lose/lose for insurance companies, especially when covering seniors.  Most will pay out more than they take in.  Typically, they pay out a max of about $1500. annually in benefits which is nothing today.

I get mine in a group plan through my formerformer employer but it's not great.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

Noticed a sign at my dentist week ago that they would not be participating in Delta Dental after (some month) next year.  I've never had it so can't explain why.  Cost ?    Paperwork?   Don't know - but just a heads-up.

Valued Contributor

I don't think the $1000 cap includes the free cleanings and x-rays, plus you get to pay the reduced negotiated prices that the dental plan has instead of paying full price for work done.  I am thinking it might be worth it. 

Valued Contributor

I am surprised to hear that about Delta Dental.  I though every dentist took that insurance.

Honored Contributor

@saltysails wrote:

I am surprised to hear that about Delta Dental.  I though every dentist took that insurance.

Mine doesn't.  

We keep our fingers crossed, floss our teeth religiously and pay as we go.  The dentist offers a 10% discount for a cash payment.