Honored Contributor

Re: Would like to volunteer, but -

@Drythe wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

LOL! Leave it to Happy Numbers to come into a good thread full of great, supportive people and suggestions for the sole purpose of whizzing on me personally and for no other reason.

SMH, but as usual, not at all surprised. Or impressed.  *Eyeroll.* 

@Moonchilde

The self righteousness IS breathtaking.

As is the imagination ;-)

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

@software wrote:

Go to your local VA hospital or Children's Hospital.  

You can't walk?   You can't stand?    I don't get it.

Maybe you can sit & read the newspaper to a veteran or a story to a child.

Just do it.   Your heart will lead you

@software

You "don't get" not being able to walk or stand?  Some of us can't.

@Drythe -

Thank you. I was like WT*??

Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ, it was reading the posts in that thread, followed by the post in this thread, that tipped me it's all "created" - but poorly as it's never this and that, always this, this and this, as well as that and that, and a big flourish finish with that in case the first part doesn't sound impressive enough, outraged enough or scornful enough. Now that I see it so clearly, it's really funny.

In a somewhat serious sense I'd love to post in that thread about misophonia/soft sound syndrome. But every other thread that has touched on it or being Highly Sensitive (physically as well as emotionally) has been a highly scornful ridicule-fest, so not going to bother.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Do you have a therapy dog organization where you live? From what you said in that thread in wellness you really know what they do for people. So maybe you could be a liaison/community relations type person for them. Maybe they could work with you as far as your restrictions. 

What about a genealogical society, maybe they would be receptive to working with your abilities too. If people see all you'd have to offer hopefully they'd do that.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thank you, @Greeneyedlady21 :-)

I have done "okay" as far as genealogy, but others know far more than I do about where and how to dig when you hit stone walls. There are people out there who could teach me.

I'd like to be some sort of liaison for something - that, I can do!

Respected Contributor

If there is a community college near you, you could ask about tutoring---Teaching kids how to study.  I took some classes at our local cc and kids need to learn those study skills.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Moonchilde

I'm going to keep thinking about this, but 2 thoughts:

I know several nursing homes have volunteers who come in and read and lead discussions of the the daily news.

My local shelter and also my vet have volunteers who come in and do 'socialization' with cats and dogs.  In the shelter it is to help the animals become more familiar with people and thus more adoptable - I do this with kitties, the only problem is not taking them all home!  I see @Fona does this too!  At my vets it's to provide comfort to sick or boarded animals whose families can't get in as often as the animals need for hugs.

Best wishes!

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

Sadly it is not easy to volunteer in today's world.  At one time schools and hospitals jumped at the chance to take advantage of those wanted to volunteer, but that is no longer the case.

Today volunteers need to undergo extensive background searches that can take months.  When I became a volunteer at our hospital's gift shop, my background  was scrutinized more than when I was hired to teach school.

We've dicussed this before, the cuddling and rocking of babies.  At our local hospital, as a volunteer I could not enter the maternity floor to deliver flowers from the gift shop.  I had to be buzzed in where I was met by a staff member who took the flowers from me.  I was not allowed anywhere near the nursery.  No volunteers ever touched the babies.

@Moonchilde

Good luck; I'm sure you'll find something rewarding to occupy your time.

Honored Contributor

@lulu2 wrote:

Sadly it is not easy to volunteer in today's world.  At one time schools and hospitals jumped at the chance to take advantage of those wanted to volunteer, but that is no longer the case.

Today volunteers need to undergo extensive background searches that can take months.  When I became a volunteer at our hospital's gift shop, my background  was scrutinized more than when I was hired to teach school.

We've dicussed this before, the cuddling and rocking of babies.  At our local hospital, as a volunteer I could not enter the maternity floor to deliver flowers from the gift shop.  I had to be buzzed in where I was met by a staff member who took the flowers from me.  I was not allowed anywhere near the nursery.  No volunteers ever touched the babies.

@Moonchilde

Good luck; I'm sure you'll find something rewarding to occupy your time.

That's been my experience, too @lulu2.  I wanted to visit, sort of adopt, someone in a nursing home who didn't have visitors but that wasn't allowed.  There used to be a foster grandparent program in my area but that is no longer an option.  I was asked if I'd want to work in the hospital gift shop but that just wasn't too appealing.  

Honored Contributor

@Drythe, I'd said previously in the thread that working with kitties at the shelter would be #1 - if they had such an opening and I didn't have to get up and down from the floor ;-( I'd love to.