Honored Contributor

Would like to volunteer, but -

I'm retired a little over a year. During the past year and a few months I've had some health issues that have meant I couldn't be out and about as much as anticipated. Some of those issues will soon be over and some I'll be basically stuck with forever and will have good days and bad days.

I would like to volunteer, but nearly all of the things I would really enjoy doing or feel happy doing involve standing, walking, bending and lifting, and I can only do any one of those things maybe half an hour without enough pain that I would not be having a good time any more.

Most animal shelter work involves hands and knees - can't do that. Being a docent involves standing. The food bank wants people who can load boxes, give them out, and do a certain amount of manual labor like set-up and tear-down.

Desk/phone work, you say? What I did for almost 50 years before I retired. It might be helpful, but not so rewarding - and some places think you just want "easy."

I think I might be good at Literacy tutoring and I would enjoy that, but it's often in the evenings/after dark so not ideal in that. We're having a huge VA facility open in late summer. I'm sure I could do something there, but not sure what opportunities they'll have - and again, not nuts about working in an environment I just retired from.

Thoughts? Am I missing something - not thinking of a good volunteer opportunity I could do sitting? Would rather have face-to-face interaction; sick to death of phones - but that might be all there is, I don't know.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

Re: Would like to volunteer, but -

Moonchilde, you are knowledgeable about many things--  I'm just trying to brainstorm, but I wonder if there is some sort of adult education course you could develop/conduct, maybe through your public library or a community college?

I'm thinking of that convo we had about British actors, which suggested to me, maybe some sort of film appreciation course or something?

Esteemed Contributor

I was going to mention desk work like filing, making phone calls, that type of thing but it sounds like after a long career of doing that you are burned out. That is understandable. Give me some time to think. I will come back tomorrow if I can think of something. 

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Honored Contributor

I expect you'd also be very good at a crisis line, helping people cope and making referrals for them, but we are back to phones, which you're not crazy about...

Contributor

Assisted living communities are often looking for volunteers to visit with residents - assist with various easy craft projects, play cards, read books - and just be a companion.  Very rewarding.  Best of luck to you.  

Esteemed Contributor

I also think it is really great that you so interested and still trying to find something, ANYTHING you can do to give back despite having limitations. Many would use that as an excuse and be done with it.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Esteemed Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

I expect you'd also be very good at a crisis line, helping people cope and making referrals for them, but we are back to phones, which you're not crazy about...

I agree. I think she would be great at that.

JFK
Valued Contributor

I don't know if this would interest you, but Hospice is always looking for volunteers to sit with patients who have no family. Wounded Warriors also looks for people that can assist veterans in various things, such as shopping or assisting them with daily activities. Doing activities with elderly nursing home patients is also an option. Summer reading programs for children at the local libraries always need volunteers, and those activities are during the day.  If the animal shelter has a cat room, sitting with the cats and socializing them is a lot of fun, unless you have an allergy to cats. I foster animals for the shelter and I enjoy that. People going for their G.E.D. usually need some assistance, contact your local school superintendent office and see if that is a possibility if that interests you. (Granted all of these programs are available where I live, and I am making the assumption that some of them may be available where you are.)  Hopefully you can find something that you like.

“The price of light is less than the cost of darkness.”
– Arthur C. Nielsen
Honored Contributor

You could be a baby soother/cuddler in a hospital for wee ones in great need.

Check out VolunteerMatch.org and other websites for opportunities that match your passions and skills.

Honored Contributor

My friend's  mom has some physical limitations.  She's a volunteer at the library and at a local charity resale shop. She enjoys both jobs, and I think she can take just a 4 hour shift at each/week.