Honored Contributor

Re: Would like to volunteer, but -

@feline groovy, strange (I guess) but whenever I think of bottle-feeding new kittens and that kind of fostering, I've always assumed people do it in their homes. I never considered it might be done at the shelter itself. I imagine it depends on the $$ the shelter gets from their funding source whether they have a "nursery." 

My two choices are a (I'm assuming small and fairly bare-bones) city/county (not sure which) shelter, or a fairly large & modern SPCA shelter.

My other "thing" is that I'd prefer to volunteer where euthanasia is at a minimum. There are no no-kill shelters near me :-(

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@Bonanzajellybean wrote:

Everyone has such great suggestions!  The only one I can add is Meals on Wheels for Seniors.  You can deliver a meal and sit and visit with someone who has a hard time getting out and would look forward to the company. 

I don't know what Jolly Numbers said but she sure seems to consider herself volunteer of the year because she collects food for the post office once a year. 

@GenXmuse

<snork> LOL.

I had thought of Meals on Wheels and it is an option, but since we are semi-rural, not sure what would be expected as far as driving distances. In the city I could have easily done it (except for parking, lol).

Honored Contributor

@feline groovy wrote:

There's also "virtual volunteering" (a.k.a. cyber service, telementoring, teletutoring, and other names) where you use your skills, talents, and experience online.

It's great for people who have chronic health challenges, and/or don''t have access to transportation.

Sorry for my many posts on this thread; got a couple of ideas almost back-to-back and wanted to note them before they disappeared, LOL.

@feline groovy

Ahh, therein lies my major rub. Because of the physical location of the house, we have abominable wifi and cell reception both. It makes me crazy, because in LA I had fastest unlimited service and here my calls drop even on Verizon and we can only do measured data satellite wifi - where I get the "you are not connected to the internet" comment when I AM connected!  Crazy-making.  If I had good wifi, I could work, as in get paid, from home.

Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@feline groovy, strange (I guess) but whenever I think of bottle-feeding new kittens and that kind of fostering, I've always assumed people do it in their homes. I never considered it might be done at the shelter itself. I imagine it depends on the $$ the shelter gets from their funding source whether they have a "nursery." 

My two choices are a (I'm assuming small and fairly bare-bones) city/county (not sure which) shelter, or a fairly large & modern SPCA shelter.

My other "thing" is that I'd prefer to volunteer where euthanasia is at a minimum. There are no no-kill shelters near me :-(

@Moonchilde

Believe me, I understand.

But there are kitten/cat rescue organizations and sanctuaries that don't euthanize.

Veterinarians and animal hosptials may also need volunteers.

Hey, it doesn't hurt to search and check things out.  ;-)