Honored Contributor

Re: Would like to volunteer, but -

[ Edited ]

Wow, so many great ideas and resources here!   I want to add my agreement that it's wonderful you (and other posters) are determined to find a way to give to the community.    I also know you have a myriad of talents and gifts, @Moonchilde, and whatever you choose you'll be a valuable asset.    They'll be lucky to have you!   Most of my life I've been active in the local arts community, and they always can use extra hands and hearts so you might take a look in that direction.    I think I remember you're a photographer, so you have the eye and the spirit of the artist.   You're also an excellent writer, which is useful to many organizations.    I look forward to seeing other ideas here, and hope you'll keep us posted as you search for the right "fit."  

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Contributor

Moonchilde

I also am retired and have some issues that you have. I have been volunteering at my local elementary school library for eight years. It is enjoyable and rewarding to spend time with very small children and encourage a love for reading. Perhaps you can check with your local schools. With the Bridget cuts in most states for education I am sure they can use your help in some capacity.  

Contributor

BUDGET cuts. Don't know where Brisget came from!!!

Honored Contributor

Literacy work might be a good fit - and is badly needed.

Respected Contributor

Literacy tutoring brings to mind Reading Assist Program. You are trained by them for I believe 8 weeks and then go into elementary schools to work one on one with students. My children did this program and I also paid the woman for extra help after school. Just a thought.

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it's calling out another poster.

Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@Oznell wrote:

Moonchilde, you are knowledgeable about many things--  I'm just trying to brainstorm, but I wonder if there is some sort of adult education course you could develop/conduct, maybe through your public library or a community college?

I'm thinking of that convo we had about British actors, which suggested to me, maybe some sort of film appreciation course or something?

Thank you, @Oznell :-)

I had actually thought about a computer class for seniors or helping seniors online, or doing benefits legwork for Medicare/Medicaid, etc.  I contacted our largest local group, Alliance on Aging, and was informed that they didn't need (or maybe want?) volunteers for that sort of thing, they had paid credentialed employees who did that. Who knew? I don't know what's involved in getting certified, but I do plan to contact them again. I'd like to get a feeling of what the local area needs/wants.

I'm at a disadvantage in that I don't speak fluent Spanish - not enough to seriously help someone.

Maybe someone could volunteer to help you with your Spanish and then you could work on that program for seniors.

Honored Contributor

I have a friend who helped a child with reading two mornings a week at the school.She really enjoyed making a difference and became quite close to that child over the three years she helped him.

QVC Customer Care

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

magnus wrote:

BUDGET cuts. Don't know where Brisget came from!!!

@magnus,   It's that trusty spellcheck.    The results can be pretty funny...  there are lots of articles online with some crazy examples of unexpected spellcheck "contributions."

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova