Honored Contributor

Re: Would dropping baggage fees make shorter lines at the Airport?

@bri20 wrote:

I think the TSA needs to hire competent people, who don't steal, who can move people through the lines faster. 

@bri20 - last weekend I was telling my husband that TSA should hire any Veterans who want to work there.  They are trained, know what to look for, would take the job seriously, etc.  Oh well, no one asked me.

Respected Contributor

@Mj12 wrote:

@bri20 wrote:

I think the TSA needs to hire competent people, who don't steal, who can move people through the lines faster. 

@bri20 - last weekend I was telling my husband that TSA should hire any Veterans who want to work there.  They are trained, know what to look for, would take the job seriously, etc.  Oh well, no one asked me.

@Mj12, that's a great idea. 

Can't you call someone?  Make it happen!

Honored Contributor

Last time my husband flew- to Dallas- his only carry-on was his computer bag, which is always by his side.  Anywho, he said the lady that sat next to him was putting everything in the overhead and he said there was hardly room for his computer bag. He said he asked her did she not know there were others on the plane, of course she kept stuffing stuff in and ignored him.  He, too, is a seasoned traveler for work & said how awful it is all that people bring on board now.. 

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Esteemed Contributor

No - not at all.

Southwest never charges baggage fees and people squeeze on as much as they legally can on the airplane.  Those people are a pain.

Honored Contributor

What airline lets people carry on 4 bags as someone mentioned above?

Southwest is about the most lenient and they limit you to 2 carry-ons per person and your purse counts as one.   And 1 has to be able to fit under the seat in front of you.  There is also a size restriction as to how big that bag can be.  And even that can change depending on the size of plane you end up on. 

The last time we flew, we didn't want to check our bags.  DH and I both had a carry-on bag and I had a doctor's bag that fit under the seat and my purse was inside that bag.  Ours was a direct flight so there really wasn't an issue but I know people don't want to check luggage for fear of it being lost on a plane switch.

I just didn't want the hassle of having to stand at baggage claim. We wanted to walk off the plane and straight to a taxi.  So not having a fee didn't deter me from carrying on.    

Regular Contributor

What I would like would be for camera (s) to be put on ALL flights. We can pinpoint the color and size of a flea's baby on a dog with satellites. However, we can't determine where a 2 ton airplane went or how it was destroyed. We have to wait to find "blackboxes", that could take months,years. I realize this is hindsight and tech was not as advanced. However, imagine if we had this on 9/11. It may not have saved all lives, but it could have saved quite a few, especially on ground. That is where I would be willing to pay an extra fee instead of bags

Honored Contributor

@fuzzball76 wrote:

What I would like would be for camera (s) to be put on ALL flights. We can pinpoint the color and size of a flea's baby on a dog with satellites. However, we can't determine where a 2 ton airplane went or how it was destroyed. We have to wait to find "blackboxes", that could take months,years. I realize this is hindsight and tech was not as advanced. However, imagine if we had this on 9/11. It may not have saved all lives, but it could have saved quite a few, especially on ground. That is where I would be willing to pay an extra fee instead of bags

How is this going to make shorter lines at the Airport?

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

What airline lets people carry on 4 bags as someone mentioned above?

I can't imagine any airline allowing 1 person to carry on 4 bags.  I've seen people (mostly women) claim that their 50 lb enormous tote is their handbag, which they carry in addition to a carry on.  4 bags?  Haven't seen that.

Respected Contributor

What would greatly reduce the number of carryons would be for the airlines to charge for them - by weight - and that includes everything you want to carry on - purses, briefcases etc.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I once flew SW from El Paso to Tampa - I had to sit in the front row because at that time I needed wheelchair assistance, so no seat in front of me to put my purse under. It was just a small crossbody bag, but it had my wallet and my meds in it. Anyway the steward made me put it in the overhead then later a lady came in and had 7 shopping bags of stuff she had purchased at the airport, The steward came and made room for her shopping bags by moving everyone else's things - including my purse way back in the plane. Of course I objected to him that my money and cc were in there but he said rules are rules. WHAT RULE !  I was fit to be tied. Anyway, as soon as he wasn't  around a nice soldier who saw what had happened brought me my purse and said he had heard what they did and he kept an eye on it for me.He said I watched it as though you were my own Mom. I put it behind my back and sat back against it the whole trip so they did not know it was there. i told the soldier I was from a military family and he said something told me that.