Esteemed Contributor

Would dropping baggage fees make shorter lines at the Airport?

I noticed a difference when we few Southwest last fall. Most people had smaller carry-ons. I think alot of travelers try to avoid baggage fees.

Then on the other hand......what the TSA finds in those carry ons slows down the lines also. A guy in a suit had a 4 in knife in the line to our left....

We are taking the Granddaughter to Disney in the fall....not looking forward to a 3 hr wait with a 3 yr old.....

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Re: Would dropping baggage fees make shorter lines at the Airport?

We are flying north this fall on Southwest. DH said we can take two check in bags at no extra cost. Makes me happy because I can bring more things to give me choices, especially in the colder weather. I'll see if the TSA check in lines are any better.

Honored Contributor

My Dh was injured on a plane because he was sitting on the aisle seat and after we landed , as usual, everyone jumped up to start grabbing their stuff out of the overheads - a small lady could not control her heavy bag and dropped it right onto my DH's shoulder, dislocating it.IMO - ALL baggage should have to be checked. Those overhead compartments should be only for things like coats and briefcases, computer bags.My DH's shoulder has never been right since this happened. It was terribly painful for months after. I'm sure he is not the only one who has been injured in this way, because some of those bags are large and heavy.

Trusted Contributor

I would guess that there are several reasons this issue has gotten increasing unmanageable.  Something I have noticed when I travel is that the TSA agents don't start to move travelers thru the security process until there is a backlog of people in line.  If they started processing travelers as they arrive it might be one way to help streamline the process.  I always arrive way to early but I am happy to get through security, get to the gate and wait patiently for my flight and read.

Honored Contributor

I'm not sure that dropping the baggage fees would reduce the lines. I think a lot of people carry on baggage to get right out of the airport upon arrival - not because of the checked baggage fees.

Honored Contributor

The ISA scan is done way before you get to your airline, the TSA is scanning all airlines in one wing, 1 airline dropping their fees would not change much

@Nataliesgramma wrote:

I noticed a difference when we few Southwest last fall. Most people had smaller carry-ons. I think alot of travelers try to avoid baggage fees.

Then on the other hand......what the TSA finds in those carry ons slows down the lines also. A guy in a suit had a 4 in knife in the line to our left....

We are taking the Granddaughter to Disney in the fall....not looking forward to a 3 hr wait with a 3 yr old.....

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Respected Contributor

I think a multi-pronged approach would work better

1. drop the baggage fee
  2. charge a carry on fee for bags larger than XYZ/heavier than XYZ
  3. Create an Express Lane through security for those who are NOT carrying on luggage.   Let those who are carrying on luggage wait in the long lines.  They have extra time since they do not have to wait in baggage claim upon arrival.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've had things dropped on me but never to the point of injury. I agree totally with you that it's a dangerous situation. In strong turbulence, those bins can pop open. 

Instituting a fee for what is a must in travel--bringing clothing and belongings, was always going to create chaos.  That's why I like Southwest for one more reason.

1. People need to take their valuables aboard (won't keep TSA from stealing--they took a cuff bracelet out right in front of me pretending to examine cell phone again) but it does help. I wouldn't ever check my camera gear!

2. You need to sometimes bring a change of clothing in case suitcase goes astray.

So a small carryon is normal. I have no issue with the size gauges that prevent the overstuffed, fifty pound monster from being dragged aboard. The Airline regulatory agency (its own) changed the size allowance however, without checking wiith manufacturers about what the most common size sold was! People got to the airport with carryon in tow, and found they couldn't board with it (camera gear, hello!) and there was slow downs and yelling. Saw it happen. I deliberately bought new luggage a few years ago and went smaller and with a teardrop shape, because I saw the way Europe was going (smaller, smaller)

3. Checking bags for clothing and non-essentials aboard is a good idea for a longer trip. Charging for this tempts people to try to fit all into a carry on. What did they think? You were going to look at a potential $50 to 70 additional charge for two people traveling toghether and say, oh well? When you can avoid it? We already have a federal additional tax and an airport fee in most places, add in parking, etc. That "three hundred dollar" fare is much more than that when you get done.

And it's a bit mean--so people rebelled. Of COURSE I have to take a suitcase. And you're charging me? And then they charge in some cases for the carry on. Now that is really chintzy. 

No more food aboard, except sometimes a ten dollar greasy stale sandwich or cheap salty snacks overpriced. We traveled from Hawaii to the East Coast. That's a nine or more hour trip. Because it's domestic, not a single item of food. The layovers were hardly long enough to grab horrible fast food and jam it down. We had kids. A few snacks would have been welcome. 

Internationally, it's only six hours to London, but they feed you, however you can go twelve hours with tight connections in the US and it's a famine. Not even a pretzel. On the last flight I took, they skipped six rows of us for water or other liquids because they were yapping and not paying attention. There was no turbulence or problem with landing. They just passed one  row and then said "hey, were done, let's put the cart away.) 

In short, customer service is nil (you pretty much have to fly us) and the TSA adds to the joy. They were pressuring congress for more funds by a slow down just the way any labor action does during a negotiation. And we miss our flights. Nice. 

Respected Contributor

PS re small ladies and bags: I'm a woman but I'm six feet tall and have good upper body strength (I lift weights.)

When I see some tiny woman trying to wrestle a bag out, I step in ahd help her because it's for MY safety and those around us. The guys may be standing around with their hands up their... but I will grab that bag and put it on the floor for her. I can't tell you how many times I've stowed or taken down bags. 

If you can't lift it over your head and hold it for five seconds, you shouldn't be bringing it but hey, try telling some four foot eleven person that. Huh? Of course I can bring fifty pounds aboard. What's the problem?

I have heard of several folks severely injured by these bags being dropped on them. I had a pile of books that slid out of a compartment hit me on the head. Everyone laughed. Ten books woke me up. bang bang bangity bang. I could have punched someone for that. 

Respected Contributor

I try not to fly unless I have to as it's like riding a city bus.

I don't like the way airlines are taking advantage of people.  Charging for baggage is greed.

The only thing that should be allowed in the overhead bins are:  briefcases, jackets, or a small makeup bag.