Frequent Contributor

Re: Would You Send Your Kids To Day Camp

I don't see many options for parents who have to return to work OR those who work in critical areas and never stopped going in.

Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

Since day cares are open and schools were told to expect to open in the fall, day camps would be a good option for the summer.  Kids need to spend time with other kids.

@CrazyDaisy  Kids are already spending time with other kids and have been. At least around here. Anytime I am out there are kids riding their bikes all around town. No one has ever been locked up in their homes. Look around you. Don't you see people out and about? No one is stopping you from sending your kids to camp if it is open. 

@proudlyfromNJ I live in NYC ( in one of the five boroughs), we are still in lock down mode, phase one starts on Monday. There are no kids in my neighborhood playing outside. I don't see people out and about, as for me, I go to the supermarket and CVS, that's it.

Honored Contributor

This is a perfect example of the increasing gulf  between those who have and those don't.

My daughter is grown, but when she was camp age, I would have had the preferable (to me) option of keeping her home. It is not the equivalent of a camp environment. I would have wanted to make sure that she is safe, and that would not be possible at camp.

But -- and this is a huge and tragic but -- most families simply do not have the same options. They need some type of institutional setting for their children. Period.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

If it's the same camp I went to, I'd do it ASAP.  But, not this year.  Want to see if this virus is closer to being done.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Jordan2 wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

Since day cares are open and schools were told to expect to open in the fall, day camps would be a good option for the summer.  Kids need to spend time with other kids.

@CrazyDaisy  Kids are already spending time with other kids and have been. At least around here. Anytime I am out there are kids riding their bikes all around town. No one has ever been locked up in their homes. Look around you. Don't you see people out and about? No one is stopping you from sending your kids to camp if it is open. 

@proudlyfromNJ I live in NYC ( in one of the five boroughs), we are still in lock down mode, phase one starts on Monday. There are no kids in my neighborhood playing outside. I don't see people out and about, as for me, I go to the supermarket and CVS, that's it.

@Jordan2  Guess what? I am in Rockland County NY, a hotspot. We will also start phase one. Everyone including kids are out and about. Edited to add, our phase one started last week.

Honored Contributor

I just checked on the usual camp organizations in my area and all but one are open right now for their first summer session.  Only one as cancelled for the entire summer.  Using the same daily procedures for taking temps. of all who enter each morning.  I know our big water park opened this week and the zoo.  I have never seen more mask wearers than non but now I am seeing even less people wear masks. 

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Respected Contributor

If I needed childcare to work, then yes.

I would not send a child to sleep away camp this year.
Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

This is a perfect example of the increasing gulf  between those who have and those don't.

My daughter is grown, but when she was camp age, I would have had the preferable (to me) option of keeping her home. It is not the equivalent of a camp environment. I would have wanted to make sure that she is safe, and that would not be possible at camp.

But -- and this is a huge and tragic but -- most families simply do not have the same options. They need some type of institutional setting for their children. Period.

For some reason I missed the "day" part of camp in the opening post. My response was more about overnight camps, which would worry me because I'd feel more of a lack of control that I would with a day camp.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

I wouldn't send my kids to camp this year if I could avoid it. I know many parents might not have an alternative. I was lucky I guess in that I never had to arrange summer babysitting. As a teacher, I was home all summer with my children.

Honored Contributor

@FiddleDeeDee wrote:

Nope. That decision was made a few months ago. Pools just opened. Nope, no pool for them. I'm the meanie mom. Oh well.

Nope you are a smart momSmiley Happy