Honored Contributor

Would You Send Your Kids To Day Camp

I heard New York State will allow day camps to open around June 29. I don't have young kids, I'm not so sure I would send them to camp. You can try to drum into their heads all the right things to do, but you know kids, they forget and your not around to remind them.

Honored Contributor

Re: Would You Send Your Kids To Day Camp

Maybe they can all Zoom camp together from their backyards.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Respected Contributor

Adults do not seem to be able to follow guidelines, so how can you expect kids to follow those rules.  Big mistake!

Super Contributor

I am a retired elementary teacher. Small children do not grasp the concept of 6 feet apart or want to wear a mask. I don't have children but I would not send my child to day camp. I wonder what school will look like in the fall. In West Texas, we begin school the second or third week of August. Everyone seems to think we will have on site classes. I sub two to three times a week. I will wait until September to see what the proctocol will be for elementary school. Most of the schools have communal bathrooms and water fountains. Only the younger grades have their restrooms in class and they share with the class next door. Kids aren't great about washing their hands. Classroom supplies are often shared. This situation will be a nightmare for classroom teachers.

Honored Contributor

I am not sure what working parents can do.  My son/DIL have enrolled their son in a few week-long camps.  They need daycare for him as both are expected back at work.

Honored Contributor

What a tough situation for parents to be in.  I can't imagine home schooling a child and then what happens during the summer?  I would think many parents have no choice but to send the child to camp and hope for the best.

Respected Contributor

I already told my daughter if camp opens this year she can't go.

Honored Contributor

My kid is now 23.

He did go to day camps when young.

I did vaccinate my kid, but always doubted whether or not I was doing the right thing. I believe kids immune systems get strong from exposures to things. I believe that over all, we have too many vaccines, and I think somewhere it is hurting our long term immunity responses.

But in this instance, if I had a kid of age for camp, I'd be sitting this year out. 

My gut tells me it will probably be alright for 99% of kids. But my heart would be afraid to take the chance. 

I'm guessing the day camps are going to be safer than going back to school in the fall though as they will be outside most of the time, and in smaller groups. 

So no rational thought to it, but I would be keeping my kid home, right  or wrong.

Honored Contributor

I would not send them this summer.

Trusted Contributor

Nope. That decision was made a few months ago. Pools just opened. Nope, no pool for them. I'm the meanie mom. Oh well.

"Coming to ya from Florida"