Trusted Contributor

Re: Would You Send Your Kids To Day Camp

@texassunflower    I could not agree with you more.  I am also a retired elementary teacher and know that kids can not be expected to understand the precautions we are hoping they will grasp.  I just had this conversation with my daughter.  Her little girl is going into second grade. Things will look much different this year.  Even though she has had online learning for the past 3 months...I really think that second grade will require much review to fill in the learning gaps.  I feel sorry for the classroom teachers as well. 

Honored Contributor

Jewel22:   'Ten Four'   (I hear you.  Heart)

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I'm not going into detail here;

As far as longer camp stays, I'd research exactly who's taking care of the children while there.

Their age, experience, etc.

Daytime camp might be a better choice, although I think I'd wait until this virus has somewhat passed.

The day camp staff have to be very careful, and carry through on all of the rules and precautions.  

They can't be nicey-nice and let things go.  

Wishing the children well.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am not in need of child care.  But I have 3 daughters who for years struggled with daycare in summer, and sent the kids to community  day camps as an option.

iasked  my daughter this question, as her kids, my grands are out of high school now, with one out of college.  She says she doesn't think she would, but if forced to ,if no family member was available,  she might concider.  She was really torn with the question

I am still  torn thinking about it.  So many parents face this issue.  Work is not an adjustable activity for most.  It is a given. I haven't seen the measures day camps or day cares are offering,  but if very small classes, monitored and clean environment.   I'd like to see what they offer.  I worked with the city for years at the museum.  Our city is not offering summer camps this year.   All community classes are on a stand by

Esteemed Contributor

I would definitely NOT send them to camp ... it’s still too dangerous.... I don’t think the States are giving us all the information concerning the virus ... they wat to open up because of the economy & the almighty dollar 👎

Esteemed Contributor

Since day cares are open and schools were told to expect to open in the fall, day camps would be a good option for the summer.  Kids need to spend time with other kids.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Trusted Contributor

I have two young girls that usually attend a rec camp for about 3 hours a day in the summer.  They had just added some great new programs within the camp for this summer and they were both looking forward to it. 

They won't be attending this year if it's open.  I do not feel it is safe for them and I won't put them in harm's way if it's something I can control.

However, I am fortunate in the fact that I am home all summer long.  I feel terrible for working parents.  They most likely won't have a choice and that has to be understood as well.  People have to work and kids need to be taken care of. It is true that we can't rely on young children to completely understand and follow the guidelines of social distancing.  We must count on the adults in charge to do that for them to the best of their ability.

Respected Contributor

If my kids were still young enough, No. I would not send them.  Our town's  Park and Rec department has cancelled all camps for the summer season. No day or week long camps. We still have new virus cases showing up every day in our county.  They know they would not be able to keep up with the cleaning, distancing and safety regulations. We are a resort town in the summer. Our population quadruples during a regular season. I doubt this summer it will be so. Our camps are very popular for residents and vacationers alike.  For the camp counselors that don't have a job now, a list has been made of baby sitters for people. Some are being hired as "beach ambassadors" and others are getting other jobs in town for the summer.

Honored Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

Since day cares are open and schools were told to expect to open in the fall, day camps would be a good option for the summer.  Kids need to spend time with other kids.

@CrazyDaisy  Kids are already spending time with other kids and have been. At least around here. Anytime I am out there are kids riding their bikes all around town. No one has ever been locked up in their homes. Look around you. Don't you see people out and about? No one is stopping you from sending your kids to camp if it is open. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@CrazyDaisy  Kids are already spending time with other kids and have been. At least around here. Anytime I am out there are kids riding their bikes all around town. No one has ever been locked up in their homes. Look around you. Don't you see people out and about? No one is stopping you from sending your kids to camp if it is open. 

If kids are already playing with friends how is that any different then sending them to day camp?  Was simply commenting on the topic, no need to attack.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.