Respected Contributor

Re: Would You Put This on Your House?

No, but there have been plaques, door mats or mailboxes with occupants names  on them as long as I can remember;.  I'm surprised you have seen none of these in your area before.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I wouldn't put my name on my house.  What bothers me more are the decals some parents put on their cars, with their names and that of their children, and even the pets.  By the back of the car I know how many are in their family, their gender and their names.  Why would someone do that with their children's safety?.  A predator could follow you home, knowing you have boys or girls and their approx age. Also, they could know you have a dog to deal with.  Geesh!

Honored Contributor

@shoekitty: Parents are even told not to have their children's names monogrammed on their backpacks or clothing, to prevent a predator from luring them by calling out their name. Sad...
~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Trusted Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

Well, if the street you live on has mail boxes at the curb and the occupant's names are on them, what's the difference?

We have a mail box at the curb; it has numbers on it--no names. 

OTOH, if these people also have a face book page, someone can easily keep track of their comings and goings.

Not if you disable your location settings for FB and don't bore everyone with your every move. Smiley Wink

Still, I would not put my name outside my house. I'm not super paranoid about stuff like that, but I can't think of any reason to advertise that I live there. Everyone who needs to know, knows. 

Honored Contributor

if you google addresses or look up property tax information (which is public) you can easily find the owners name in less than a few minutes.......someone could stand right in front of your home and access that information. we dont, however, have our name on our home, but i know others that do.....via a plaque, on the doorknocker, on the front door mat, on the mailbox. it is also so easy for someone to steal any piece of mail, even junk mail, and know your name.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

No, because I don't really like personalized things like that.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]
I don't see an issue with it; our name is on our big mailbox at the end of the driveway. I googled my name recently and was a bit surprised at the information that is out there, including an aerial view of my home! I do have Private Property signs visible on my land, and my home, which in my area of southern WV means trespassers will not be tolerated.
Esteemed Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

if you google addresses or look up property tax information (which is public) you can easily find the owners name in less than a few minutes.......someone could stand right in front of your home and access that information. we dont, however, have our name on our home, but i know others that do.....via a plaque, on the doorknocker, on the front door mat, on the mailbox. it is also so easy for someone to steal any piece of mail, even junk mail, and know your name.

Good point.  All I have to do is access my county's tax records (which is public) and I know who the owner of record is.  Yes, if I found a really nice doo-dad that had our last name on it, I'd put it out there.  It's no secret we live here.  In fact, it might help emergency personnel if we needed them.

Cogito ergo sum
Esteemed Contributor

Some of our neighbors have plaques on their homes with their last names. We dont and wont.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Valued Contributor

We have a name plate on our house. On my street, everyone knows everyone! Small town life!!!