Trusted Contributor

Would You Put This on Your House?

[ Edited ]

During my morning walk, I noticed a new neighbor put a plaque on their front gate, right under their address that reads:  "We're the ______" which wrote out their last name (I didn't want to write it out here, it's not a common name and you never know who comes here).   

I was a bit stunned by that.   I have a shredder and I shred any and all documents with my name and address on them.    Putting your name on your house, to me, is inviting someone to use that information in some way.  

We just had a home burglarized on that same street a few months ago.  Personally, I wouldn't be broadcasting my name like that.

Maybe it's just me, I'm overly cautious, but isn't that why we get shredders to protect our identity and make sure no one can match our name to our residence, etc?   I've read about people going through your garbage and your recycling cans looking for names to match your address.

What do you all think?

Respected Contributor

Re: Would You Put This on Your House?

I wouldn't but a lot of people here have big boulders with their last name on them in their landscaping or at the end of the drive.

Esteemed Contributor

No, I would not put a plaque with my name on it. I too shred everything!
Trusted Contributor

I agree. I would never put name on anything outside. I shred everything . Afraid of identity theft. You never know anymore who picks through garbage.
Honored Contributor

No we wouldn't. 

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Trusted Contributor

I think in this day and age the less you reveal the better.    

There are people walking neighborhoods, ringing doorbells, all out to scam residents.  We get them all the time, trying to sell something.   

I even took my address off my checks because my banker said it isn't safe to send out checks with your address and account number available.   Plus, I live alone and don't want anyone to have my address unless I give it to them.

Honored Contributor

Two of our neighbors who live on either side of a duplex both had beautiful bronze plaques made with their names on it - Like - SMITH , Joe and Judy. Our HOA was all over them from the first day to take those down.

Honored Contributor

Well, if the street you live on has mail boxes at the curb and the occupant's names are on them, what's the difference?

OTOH, if these people also have a face book page, someone can easily keep track of their comings and goings.

Honored Contributor

No, I don't see a problem with it, all someone needs to do is google you address and they can find who lives there, if someone wants to find out who you are it is very easy these day!

Honored Contributor

I won't even put out a mat or anything that says "welcome" becaus there are too many people out there who are not welcomed. I do have a "no soliciting" sign.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment