Honored Contributor

Re: Would You Pay Shippers to Pick Up Used Boxes?

@Sooner    It's a good question to ask.  

when I first moved into my home, I had about 150 boxes to dispose of, as well as others from things I ordered online.

I did pay a pick-up service to come get these piles of flattened cardboard out of my garage.  I have alternate weekly curbside recycling service, but it would have taken a year or more for me to fit the cardboard into the barrel, according to what would fit each time.  

now that I'm just fitting in normal amounts of cardboard, based on occasional online deliveries, it isn't a problem anymore. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

No. I would not pay them.  

I recycle them with my trash pickup. I cannot imagine having them pile up while I wait for a business to pick them up. More piles....more complications. 

I also think sanitation would come into the picture....used boxes... spills...bacteria....even bed bugs....

Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

I would literally PAY some big shippers to pick up flattened boxes.

I wish some we get lots of things from would maybe mark certain boxes eligible for pickup so you could flatten them and they would pick them up for reuse.  

It is such a waste to take perfectly good boxes to be recycled.  Those trucks go back empty, so why not swing by a few houses on their way back on certain predetermined days and get the new boxes back for reuse or collect a few when they deliver?  

Yes I would PAY them!  

@Sooner 

I would just dump them in a local Recycle dumpster ... free.

@Tinkrbl44, see her Post #35. She explains the difference between recycle and reuse.

@suzyQ3 

I saw that but a lot of people are still leery of "covid cooties".  While reusing may appear to be the better choice, I think recycling is better than tossing them out.

Honored Contributor

no, i use them for storage as needed OR i flatten them and put them out for recycling weekly.

there are charities also that you can print out a prepaid address label and use your old boxes to donate clothes, accessories, and household items. it costs you nothing. a great way to give back in a number of ways.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

Thank goodness all I have to do is break them down and take them out for recycling.  I would never pay someone to come back and get my junk on a regular basis.  I do have some that I keep (you never know) but the majority of them get recycled!

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Esteemed Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

Nope.  Smaller boxes go in the recycling bin.  Larger boxes get flattened and used in the yard as weed barrier.  I just store them flattened under the truck in the garage until time to use them.  The truck doesn't leak any oil, so I'm ot contaminating anything.

What an excellent idea @Icegoddess   Weed barrier!  Yes, yes, yes!!!

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Esteemed Contributor

Yes, yes, yes! I'm so tired of items ruined by the cheesy plastic bags running through the USPS conveyor belts. 

Esteemed Contributor

No, I would not pay, they go out in the recycling bin.