Honored Contributor

Re: Would You Pay Shippers to Pick Up Used Boxes?

[ Edited ]

Personally I wouldn't want to reuse someone else's boxes. You have no idea what might have been inside of them. Not a good idea to reuse boxes and I wouldn't pay someone to come and get mine if I had any.

Respected Contributor

I too take my boxes to my community cardboard recycling center.  What's wrong with recycling?  At least they aren't in the landfills that way.

Trusted Contributor

I pay for private garbage and recycling pickup so, no, I wouldn'y pay for sellers' pick ups.

Esteemed Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

I would literally PAY some big shippers to pick up flattened boxes.

I wish some we get lots of things from would maybe mark certain boxes eligible for pickup so you could flatten them and they would pick them up for reuse.  

It is such a waste to take perfectly good boxes to be recycled.  Those trucks go back empty, so why not swing by a few houses on their way back on certain predetermined days and get the new boxes back for reuse or collect a few when they deliver?  

Yes I would PAY them!  

I do a lot of on-line shopping. I stack the empty boxes in my garage (I don't flatten) - when I have around 10-15, I post on nextdoor dot com - and someone always comes over to take them. Many people were moving - or they needed to store things. Why discard empty boxes in good condition?

Honored Contributor

@ALRATIBA wrote:

Our apartment complex has a good recycling  program for just about everything, even stuff for composting!

We just have to bring the stuff to the recycle room.  Maintenance guys take care of it.

Perhaps you could get your community to set up something like that.

@ALRATIBA I have recycling but I think it is a bad idea and with all the great boxes out there, it is a huge waste of money and resources to recycle rather than reuse these. 

Honored Contributor

@kitcat51 wrote:

The OP wants the boxes to be reused not broken down & recycled to make new ones. The idea is more trouble than it's worth., they'd have to be scheduled for pickup, have extra room set aside in the delivery vehicle, be checked for spiders-bugs, sorted for size-strength-use, stored in a facility & then they'd have to pay to the damaged ones hauled away...all of that is expensive. Simple solution is to have everyone take care it themselves...I set boxes out for ♻️ & packing materials like bubble wrap, peanuts go to the UPS Store.

@kitcat51 Boxes can be broken down and used again.  They have to be assembled when first used.  I just think people need to start thinking about reuse.  Recycling is a huge problem with all these boxes.  

If people are concerned about environmental issues, and  this a big problem?  People can't come up with a way to reuse a lot of these boxes? 

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

I wish some we get lots of things from would maybe mark certain boxes eligible for pickup so you could flatten them and they would pick them up for reuse.  

It is such a waste to take perfectly good boxes to be recycled.  Those trucks go back empty, so why not swing by a few houses on their way back on certain predetermined days and get the new boxes back for reuse or collect a few when they deliver?  

Yes I would PAY them!  

@Sooner 

I would just dump them in a local Recycle dumpster ... free.

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

Yes I would PAY them!  

@Sooner 

I would just dump them in a local Recycle dumpster ... free.

@Tinkrbl44, see her Post #35. She explains the difference between recycle and reuse.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

Like another poster, I post them on Nextdoor. People are always moving, and in need of boxes.😊

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Respected Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@kitcat51 wrote:

The OP wants the boxes to be reused not broken down & recycled to make new ones. The idea is more trouble than it's worth., they'd have to be scheduled for pickup, have extra room set aside in the delivery vehicle, be checked for spiders-bugs, sorted for size-strength-use, stored in a facility & then they'd have to pay to the damaged ones hauled away...all of that is expensive. Simple solution is to have everyone take care it themselves...I set boxes out for ♻️ & packing materials like bubble wrap, peanuts go to the UPS Store.

@kitcat51 Boxes can be broken down and used again.  They have to be assembled when first used.  I just think people need to start thinking about reuse.  Recycling is a huge problem with all these boxes.  

If people are concerned about environmental issues, and  this a big problem?  People can't come up with a way to reuse a lot of these boxes? 

@Sooner wrote:

@kitcat51 wrote:

And I stated all the reasons why it isn't practical for shippers to do it. Again the simple solution is to have people be responsible for taking care of the boxes themselves by recycling & offering boxes to others that needs them for storage, moving, selling on ebay, etc. Worried about the environment then let's ban disposable diapers for infants, toddlers & adults, they are a huge problem worldwide.