Honored Contributor

Would You Pay Shippers to Pick Up Used Boxes?

I would literally PAY some big shippers to pick up flattened boxes.

I wish some we get lots of things from would maybe mark certain boxes eligible for pickup so you could flatten them and they would pick them up for reuse.  

It is such a waste to take perfectly good boxes to be recycled.  Those trucks go back empty, so why not swing by a few houses on their way back on certain predetermined days and get the new boxes back for reuse or collect a few when they deliver?  

Yes I would PAY them!  

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Would You Pay Shippers to Pick Up Used Boxes?

Swinging by would cost the industry more money than it's worth.

Shippers  (Macys - QVC) need a certain size of box for every product -  cause delay in shipping - they don't have time to sort through millions of boxes for size - condition of boxes and then re-tape them.

Respected Contributor

I'm afraid no one will use dirty boxes.  We had so many boxes we had to get a giant size recycle container.  The city charges $25 to deliver it, but then there are no further charges.  It works well for us.

Esteemed Contributor

I would not pay. But what people do in our area is post on Nextdoor app if people want them for moving. 

Respected Contributor

no.

Trusted Contributor

No. We just flatten them down and put them out with the recycling (the smaller ones go in the recycling bin).

Honored Contributor

@LuvmyLab wrote:

No. We just flatten them down and put them out with the recycling (the smaller ones go in the recycling bin).

Us too.  We have to tie them into a packet with twine.

Respected Contributor

No thank you. I'm already charged enough for the privilege of recycling. If you're having difficulty breaking down boxes maybe consider some electric scissors.

Honored Contributor

yes, and for all the moving we did it was included as part of the package.

Honored Contributor

I worry about the cost and the environmental impact of recycling all of these boxes.  I think delivery is really the wave of the future, and something needs to be done about the waste

Some system needs to be implemented to cut waste.  There are mountains of cardboard being produced then recycled.