Trusted Contributor

Re: Would You Order A Color Sight Unseen

These were couch throws so will be out in TV rooms. Bought several sets of these last year for my family. Such a good deal. Nice to have long throws for napping.

Trusted Contributor

Sorry I didn't answer your question. No I would not order a color sight unseen.
Super Contributor

This is why it is best to get things in a real store  Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

I do it all the time. Only problem I ever have is with cosmetics.  I am fair and have a cool complexion-- green eyes--- silver hair.  Watching foundation colors are just about impossible trying to make the match.  If I get the color wrong it looks like I am wearing a dark mask.  

Esteemed Contributor

I ordered a Dusty Rose sheet set and a Pink blanket and they match perfectly!  Nice mistake!

Respected Contributor

I deliberately waited a while before responding because my answer is slightly off topic.   I LOLed when I read the subject line, because I recently ordered a $3,500 refrigerator sight unseen.  Obviously an unseen sheet set would not concern me.

To explain my purchase, I had done online research, and, based on design and the number of positive reviews, found the one I thought I wanted.  I went to the store to see and touch it, but they didn't have one either on the floor or in stock. 

I wandered aisle by aisle for nearly an hour trying to make a second choice, and when I finally did, the sales clerk--God bless her--steered me away from it.   You can believe I was nervous doing it, but I gave up and ordered my original choice, the 'sight unseen,' one.  

It turned out to be the right decision, BTW.  

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

CORRECTION TO WHAT i'VE WRITTEN BELOW:   I web searched the color Mauve, and it is indeed what the color of the sweater was as presented.  There are several hues/tints of Mauve, and the name originally was created to describe the color that the vendor/designer presented.

So, today I learned something.

------------------------------------------------

I'd have to first see the color on TV or online.

Names of colors can sometimes be tricky.

Just recently, there was a beautiful sweater called 'Mauve'.  It appeared (to me) to be a dusty light lavender with a hint of blue.

Beautiful color, but it didn't look Mauve to me.  I think of light-medium dusty rose, or something similar. 

When I have time, I'll have to search 'Mauve' and find out the various tints/hues of that color. 

So, yes, I'd have to actually see the color, just to make sure it isn't labeled/called something that it isn't (in my eyes and mind). 

p.s.  I have a feeling that each of us, more or less, sees colors differently.  I've been noticing this while walking around with friends and commenting on various newly painted houses.  We each have our own color interpretation. All different in some slight way.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

I have done this

I ordered blush on line . Terrible photos, just a description .  Have hit more good than bad colors.

I also did it for blankets for winter. I read about blankets on sale at a catalog company. I ordered 4 of them guessing by just description of 1 sentence given. I got good colorful blankets for a great price.

Esteemed Contributor

Let's just say I've ordered perfume without smelling it, so I'd venture to say I would try a color sight unseen!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett