Esteemed Contributor

Re: Would You FIRE this guy?

Probably a lame attempt at keeping him from chatting with some attractive college girls.

Respected Contributor

@RinaRina - If this guy is being paid by the hour and is chatting up the neighbors while charging you, then you have every right to say "I need to be clear that while you're here providing lawn service, I'm paying you by the hour and I expect you to focus on that service rather than chatting with the neighbors". But that's as far as it goes. Period. Beyond that, you have absolutely no right to tell him, or anyone else, who they may and may not talk to. 

I suspect however; given your past complaints about everything and everyone, that the problem isn't him. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Esteemed Contributor

I don't know the history here, but it sounds as if he is not beig respectful to you or your neighbors (oogling the ladies is not appropriate in this situation) and yes, I would not have him back.

I don't fraternize with all of my neighbors, and in fact, there's been some bad blood, but I still see to it that people I hire around the house are professional and trustworthy.  I had a guy scope out any female on the block while he was here, then begin to brag about his "capabilities" and from there it was goodbye.  He did decent work but was easily distracted and I wasn't having it.

You are the customer.  He doesn't get your business.

Cogito ergo sum
Respected Contributor

What is this "do NOT engage"?!  Do your neighbors have a problem with him, is this at their request?

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mersha wrote:

I can't imagine telling my landscaper, or any worker at my house, not to speak to one of my neighbors whether I liked them or not.  Why would that even come up in the conversation?

With all of the drama, I don't think you will be happy with this particular man so it might be better to cut him loose and find someone else.

=======================================================

Done!  He's FIRED.

As per my original post --- 

"I've asked him numerous times to STAY OFF neighbor's property and not engage.

This evening when I got home, I noticed he'd left a large Home Depot bag of grass debris in my neighbor's yard.  I went outside and moved the bag to my trash can, then called him to REMIND him again to stay off their property.  He was trespassing! "

24 hours later ...

Tonite, he "stopped by" my house to pick up the trash bag.

But he didn't call beforehand to let me know he was coming by, and I don't answer my phone after 8:30PM.

When I looked at the caller ID and saw his name, I went outside.

WHERE WAS HE?  AT MY NEIGHBOR'S HOUSE.

As soon as I saw him, I said, "no, no, no - please no".

I'd already told him I was in ongoing litigation with my neighbor and he should not engage with them.

So, there he is --- at my neighbor's door.

After I said "no, no", he said, 'it's okay..  I'm just gonna tell 'em I'm sorry I left the bag in their yard."  24 hours later??? 

The woman's husband doesn't even speak English and she wasn't home.

He's fired.

My neighbors do not look kindly on this type of behavior.

Around here, you can't go wandering onto someome's property if you've not been invited, otherwise, you're trespassing.  

He's a stranger.  He just didn't "get" it.

Too bad.  He did great yard work, but he was nothing but trouble.

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Respected Contributor

@Foxxee wrote:

@RinaRina 

"he fancies himself as some kind "lothario" and has a problem NOT engaging with "the ladies". 

My first impression after reading your post is he's paying entirely too much attention to the ladies, attention that could be unwanted.  Ask yourself, why is he doing that?  Then, think about how other men behaved that provided services for you.  

Think of it this way, by hiring him, you may have brought someone into the neighborhood that doesn't have good intentions.  If he was showing equal attention to both men and women, I might think he's just friendly.  

Landscapers who have done my property have always been professionals, kept to themselves, completed the work, then left.  I invite them into the neighborhood, so I do feel responsible for what they do.  I don't want them bothering the neighbors.  

If you are uncomfortable with him, show him the door or the driveway in this case.  

Find another landscaper before you let him go.  Often they are difficult to get, particularly this time of year.  

===============

FIRED!

Read my post above to find out why.

What he did tonite was unacceptable.

And you're right ... the neighbor's do NOT like this type of behavior.

Too sleazy ... and he's trespassing.

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Respected Contributor

@Sweetbay magnolia wrote:

I don't know the history here, but it sounds as if he is not beig respectful to you or your neighbors (oogling the ladies is not appropriate in this situation) and yes, I would not have him back.

I don't fraternize with all of my neighbors, and in fact, there's been some bad blood, but I still see to it that people I hire around the house are professional and trustworthy.  I had a guy scope out any female on the block while he was here, then begin to brag about his "capabilities" and from there it was goodbye.  He did decent work but was easily distracted and I wasn't having it.

You are the customer.  He doesn't get your business.

=======================================

Fired him.

He was an EMPLOYEE.

His behavior was unacceptable.

(See what happened above.)

Respected Contributor

@Foxxee wrote:

@RinaRina 

"he fancies himself as some kind "lothario" and has a problem NOT engaging with "the ladies". 

My first impression after reading your post is he's paying entirely too much attention to the ladies, attention that could be unwanted.  Ask yourself, why is he doing that?  Then, think about how other men behaved that provided services for you.  

Think of it this way, by hiring him, you may have brought someone into the neighborhood that doesn't have good intentions.  If he was showing equal attention to both men and women, I might think he's just friendly.  

Landscapers who have done my property have always been professionals, kept to themselves, completed the work, then left.  I invite them into the neighborhood, so I do feel responsible for what they do.  I don't want them bothering the neighbors.  

If you are uncomfortable with him, show him the door or the driveway in this case.  

Find another landscaper before you let him go.  Often they are difficult to get, particularly this time of year.  

=======================================

He was out of control with "the ladies" ... and girls.

He did NOT "mind his own business" and he bothered other neighbors.

Tonite was the last straw.  (See my message above.)

Esteemed Contributor

@RinaRina wrote:

@Mersha wrote:

I can't imagine telling my landscaper, or any worker at my house, not to speak to one of my neighbors whether I liked them or not.  Why would that even come up in the conversation?

With all of the drama, I don't think you will be happy with this particular man so it might be better to cut him loose and find someone else.

=======================================================

Done!  He's FIRED.

As per my original post --- 

"I've asked him numerous times to STAY OFF neighbor's property and not engage.

This evening when I got home, I noticed he'd left a large Home Depot bag of grass debris in my neighbor's yard.  I went outside and moved the bag to my trash can, then called him to REMIND him again to stay off their property.  He was trespassing! "

24 hours later ...

Tonite, he "stopped by" my house to pick up the trash bag.

But he didn't call beforehand to let me know he was coming by, and I don't answer my phone after 8:30PM.

When I looked at the caller ID and saw his name, I went outside.

WHERE WAS HE?  AT MY NEIGHBOR'S HOUSE.

As soon as I saw him, I said, "no, no, no - please no".

I'd already told him I was in ongoing litigation with my neighbor and he should not engage with them.

So, there he is --- at my neighbor's door.

After I said "no, no", he said, 'it's okay..  I'm just gonna tell 'em I'm sorry I left the bag in their yard."  24 hours later??? 

The woman's husband doesn't even speak English and she wasn't home.

He's fired.

My neighbors do not look kindly on this type of behavior.

Around here, you can't go wandering onto someome's property if you've not been invited, otherwise, you're trespassing.  

He's a stranger.  He just didn't "get" it.

Too bad.  He did great yard work, but he was nothing but trouble.

Just because you're  in litigation with your neighbors (why am I not surprised?) doesn't mean that he is. Just because you don't like them, doesn't mean that he has to feel the same exact way as you do.

It was right of him to apologise to the neighbors, for putting the sack of leaves on their property regardless  if the wife wasn't home, and the husband doesn't speak English.

And just how do you know that the neighbors didn't like the landscaper?

You don't like your neighbors, don't get along with them, and don't speak to them. So, how would you know that your landscaper was "bothering" them?

Don't worry, soon you'll have another neighbor, or service person to complain about.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My criteria for someone I hire is the quality of their work and if they show up when they are supposed to.  

Sometimes problems with neighbors occur because of the person who says there are problems, not because of the neighbors.