Honored Contributor

Re: Would Like Your Opinion Please

It's unfortunate that people take offense at perceived insults when there aren't  any insults or hidden meaning intended.  It's a shame that we all can't just ignore whatever it is or at least kindly ask about it when it happens.  If your friend's feelings were hurt by whatever it was she said you did (or implied) she should have good-naturedly asked you about it when it happened,.  Instead, she allowed it to fester and grow until you saw her again.  I can't stand that stuff...... no one's perfect and a very long-time friend deserves more consideration than festering over something like this. JMHO..... 

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Frequent Contributor

Oh wow, for me that would've been a very awkward moment. If my very close friend had started out our luncheon with telling me that there was something that she just had to get off her chest, then I probably would've immediately been a bit withdrawn. Maybe a bit on the defense. Then I'd probably feel like I had to be especially careful about everything I say since she's obviously so sensitive. I'm personally not thin-skinned and try not to take offense easily. If someone says something that I feel is inappropriate I just try to view them as a little ignorant and who doesn't know better. That's my opinion.
~ It's a good day when I didn't have to unleash the flying monkeys! ~
Honored Contributor

I am sorry for this situation with your friend. I just think people are overly sensitive these days. No one seems to be able to let anything go. I don't get why people take everything so seriously to where they let it become such an issue it threatens a family relationship, or a friendship. I've always been very thankful for my family and friends, and even more so when I read about situations like this one.
Valued Contributor

We need dates and times
Trusted Contributor

I had a similar situation occur a couple of weeks ago. I'm trying to let it not bother me but it does. I guess try not to take it personally, but I find it hard to do. "This too shall pass".😁
Contributor

I have recently come to realize (I am sorry it took me so long) that some people are just hyper sensitive...they look for things that are not said or hear things that were not intended. Let me give you an example "wow, you look super!" can be misinterpreted  as "glad you finally lost weight!", "can you take care of your dishes" can be "geez, you are such a slob". I have a couple of people like that in my life and it an be hard. Constantly trying to deny your intentions can be tiring and cause additional hurt feelings. From now on it is "I am sorry you misunderstood me, my intent was certainly not to hurt you". End of discussion....  It is their issue with themselves, not really you.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]
CookieQueen, I just love your response...because, between friends, these really are misunderstandings, aren't they? And there is really nothing more for them to say to each other. Well said by you!
Blowing out someone else's candle doesn't make yours brighter.
Trusted Contributor

I don't understand a friend to say this to you. Who cares what each other orders. You are in each other's company as friends and to enjoy . Don't feel bad . Relax be comfortable with yourself you certainly don't sound like a mean person. But I think your friend is ....to bring up such a trival discussion. Sometimes the more we apologize goes unappreciated.
Honored Contributor

Maybe we should all become hermits and take a vow of silence.  She was offended by your recommendation, so you have every right to be offended by her accusing you of being a snob.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am a big believer in communication.  It keeps small things from becoming big things.

If something you said bothered her, then I think telling you was the right thing to do.  It was a perfect opportunity to clear the air.  These kinds of things happen between friends all the time, and it's better to talk it out.  Usually in a sentence or two the whole thing can be put to rest.

It's probably not what you said, but the way you said it.  Or the way it sounded to her.  I think she's doing you a favor by pointing that out since I'm sure you didn't intend to sound superior.

IMO it doesn't matter if you think her reason for being upset was silly.  People feel the way they feel, and we all react differently. She wasn't wrong to feel offended.  That's how she felt, and she's entitled to that.  Your role as a friend is to listen to what she's saying and help her with it, not to judge her.  And of course she should always do the same for you.  If what she said about you eating meat bothers you, then  perhaps you should let her know so that also can be discussed.

Personally, I would be glad that my friend thought enough of our friendship to be honest with me and to give me the opportunity to talk it out with her.  That's far better than saying nothing and letting resentment build.  Especially because you said she's a very close friend.