Honored Contributor

Re: Worst part of aging... Physical, mental, or emotional?

@RetRN wrote:

151949, as usual you feel the need to judge others. Why can't you just give it a rest? I don't think your life sounds all that great and I don't believe lot of what you say here.

All of you who are suffering and having a bad day, try to stay strong and hopefully better days lie ahead. It is nice to be able to share our feelings here and offer support. A little care and compassion can go a long way.  

Yep, it is apparently way way better to lie around by yourself all day every day wallowing in self pity !!!!!! And , of course, we want to be certain to support those who are doing so because that is such good mental health!!!!!!!

Respected Contributor

@feline groovy wrote:

I would say that it's cognitive.

It's ALL about the mind.

But I do what I can to help it (& other things!) out, plus I feel very fortunate to have been born a naturally-curious person who loves to learn.

And is perhaps too-easily fascinated by things, and wonders about stuff all the time, LOL.

But I'm so blessed to be aging, as are mostly everyone else!

We should keep saying "thank you", since it's a privilege.

Not a given, nor an entitlement.

BTW, aubegirl, not everyone experiences the typical things in the usual young-to-old lifetime, as you had noted in your OP.

@feline groovy  I wholeheartedly agree with what you said, but I also absolutely LOVE your nick!

Laura loves cats!
Respected Contributor

I also just retired at 61 and am having the time of my life and looking forward to the future with travel and learning new things as well as continuing to enjoy the things I already do. Life is what you make it, whether you are 20, 40, 60 or 80. If you get some benefit out of being miserable, then go for it. I, personally, will accept slowing down as a part of life and continue to do as much as I can for as long as I can. When my time comes I don't want to look back wistfully at what might have been. I want to look back contentedly as what was!

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Honored Contributor

I'm not old enough to comment on the downside of aging personally. Smiley Happy

I'm in a pretty tie dye sleep shirt right now and have spent most of the morning out in the back yard. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think it's up to each individual on how they interpret their stages of life.

Interesting.  When I wrote my thread on "When Do You Let Go", a good number of folks slammed me for knowing my FIL had no future in staying alive.  He really doesn't.  No quality of life.  No cures, failing treatments.. 

Here all are willing to be oh so sharing and polite.  Judgemental much?

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Esteemed Contributor

@2blonde wrote:

@StylishLady wrote:

I'm 81 and I feel great. Work out, do all my own gardening, etc. and so far no major issues. I must have inherited a good set of DNA. Now if there was a wrinkle remover that works. 

@StylishLadyStylishLady, you're an inspiration!  At almost 67, I feel as you do, but it's good to know I can still feel that way at 81, or beyond!

I live in a 55+ community and this is a very active place.  I sing in a group with 4 members over 85.  We have a 94 year old that mows lawns to stay busy.  Not everyone can do this, but we can all get up, get dressed an get out. 

True, the holidays are lonely, but we have a community Thanksgiving Dinner and Christmas Dinner so nobody has to spend these day alone.  I feel fortunate to be here with so many friends to share my life with.

Honored Contributor

Always having to be careful on stairs, lifting boxes/heavier items, always 'watching my step'.   Not to mention hearing myself advising the seniors around here to do the same.  Too many falls around here, so I'm forever warning many folks.  (We know a few EMTs)

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Respected Contributor

Hey, I don't think staying in your jammies all day is a bad thing!!!  I find that to be one of the many perks of being retired!  If I want to stay in and veg out, I can.  If I want to get dressed and go out somewhere, I can.

I enjoyed working (for the most part), but I'm enjoying working at being retired now.  I have time to do the things I didn't have time to do when I was working.  A lot of what I do costs NOTHING!  I can take advantage of nice weather and go for a walk in the park or take my dogs to the dog park and enjoy watching them romp while I get fresh air and talk with other dog lovers.  I can get up early and enjoy the sunrise instead of getting up and rushing to get ready for work.  I can stay up as late as I want and not have to worry about getting up and having to stay alert the next day.  I can have that extra cup of coffee sitting out in my garden any day I want, not just on weekends.

I have achey miserable days, but they always improve when look for something to smile about and well, if they don't improve - hey I can take a nap!!!

I guess a lot of it is perspective.  My hubby, soulmate, love of my life died at just 38 years old.  He didn't have the chance to forgetfully put his keys or cellphone in the fridge, or complain about bad knees or wrinkles.  He also never got the chance to enjoy the sunshine or the rain or the snowy days.

One last thought - even on my worst days I keep going for those I love and love me as well as those who can't stand the ground I walk on.  For the loved ones, I keep going because I don't want them to deal with the grief of loss any sooner than necessary.  For those who can't stand me....well, I keep going cause it makes me smile to continue ticking them off!!!!  (I know, I'm perverse Smiley Happy )

Super Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@baker wrote:

For me it's the physical, I don't look a whole lot like I did when I was younger, my eye color even changed. I'm healthy, but have osteoarthritis so I have a lot of aches and pains. I just think when you hit 65 it's pretty much all down hill for people physically, you just have to keep going and make the best of it.

Lots of people with arthritis and other, worse ailments get themselves up and out every day doing some thing relevant. Guess what - it hurts just as much sitting at home watching TV as it does being up and out meeting people and enjoying yourself and doing things. I have arthritis too - and I have it in my spine , which is pretty painful - but I'll be darned if I will allow it to run my life.

Guess what! You are wrong!! Depends on the condition and its severity. Chronic pain is debilitating and robs you of energy. Everyone is different.

Valued Contributor