Respected Contributor

Re: Worst part of aging... Physical, mental, or emotional?

@RetRN wrote:

Many factors play into this scenario. Health, finances, support of family and friends, where you live. It is not a good idea to judge others based on your situation in life. If you own your home and are able to maintain it you are ahead of the game, but this is not reality for all.

This is so true. Don't judge others, you don't know their situation. 

I feel differently than OP. I have plenty of places I want to go, people I want to see, and many things I want to do. My frustration is being sick and getting bounced from Doctor to doctor with no resolution. 

Today is a really bad day for me. I won't bore you with details only to say that basically I have issues with meds and side effects. I have to take them and sometimes it's not too bad, other times horrible.  Makes no sense. I'm sick as a dog today. I know it will change but I'm tired of sitting on the couch while life passes me by. Getting up each morning and not knowing what you will feel like or be able to do is irritating. I've tried to get to the bottom of what's going on to the point that I just can't do anymore right now. They throw up their hands and send you to yet another doctor. 

When you have a chronic condition sometimes you can buck up and make yourself go, other times you get stopped in your tracks.  It is very fatiguing and draining. And I love it when people tell you it's all in your attitude like your attitude is any different when you woke up today than it was yesterday 😤

Yes I know that I should accept that today I can't do anything and just enjoy doing nothing, but I don't because my bad days are getting to be much more than my good. You do start to feel like, why bother? After awhile. 

I suspect the OP is just having a really bad day. Thanks for letting me vent. 

Respected Contributor

I think some research studies have suggested that older people are often quite a bit happier than the general population.  

Emotions, illnesses, and sadness can strike anyone in any of the life-stages.  They are part of surviving, because if we don't pay attention to stress, it can do us in, at any age.

But as far as a stree-free life, I wouldn't seek one.  I just hope for occasional visitations and health problems that can be controlled.   

Honored Contributor

@chiclet wrote:

For me it is hard to say but I would say if you are healthy, it is the emotional part.  After a certain age you don't have a lot to look forward to.  When young you are looking forward to good job, new home, children, husband or the love of your life and so many things ahead of you.  When you retire if you do not have a lot of loving family and friends, you just get up and wonder what you will do that day other than make the bed and maybe go to lunch.  If you don't have a lot of money travel is limited to a couple of weeks a year.  If you are old and sick it is just biding time.  I went out to get the mail yesterday about 1:30 and my older neighbor came out in her gown to get the paper.  Why get up and get dressed....Enjoy life when you are young and don't retire until you have to. 

I have been retired for 8 years now and I certainly do not find this to be my life at all. You don't know what you are talking about. Senior citizens often  do volunteer work that is important and relavant, belong to organizations that are both social and do important and relavant work in the community. You don't need to have any money to go to your church or your community center and find some work to do to helkp others in your community. If a retiree is sitting at home in their nightgown all day it is no one else's fault but their own, and that is certainly not how ALL retirements go.

Honored Contributor

@baker wrote:

For me it's the physical, I don't look a whole lot like I did when I was younger, my eye color even changed. I'm healthy, but have osteoarthritis so I have a lot of aches and pains. I just think when you hit 65 it's pretty much all down hill for people physically, you just have to keep going and make the best of it.

Lots of people with arthritis and other, worse ailments get themselves up and out every day doing some thing relevant. Guess what - it hurts just as much sitting at home watching TV as it does being up and out meeting people and enjoying yourself and doing things. I have arthritis too - and I have it in my spine , which is pretty painful - but I'll be darned if I will allow it to run my life.

Honored Contributor

@Peaches McPhee wrote:

Good God!  This is a depressing thread.  OP, if that is how you really feel, I guarantee you will have an unhappy life.

Happiness is a choice. 

Wow , I wish I could have given this post 10 hearts.

Respected Contributor

@chiclet wrote:

For me it is hard to say but I would say if you are healthy, it is the emotional part.  After a certain age you don't have a lot to look forward to.  When young you are looking forward to good job, new home, children, husband or the love of your life and so many things ahead of you.  When you retire if you do not have a lot of loving family and friends, you just get up and wonder what you will do that day other than make the bed and maybe go to lunch.  If you don't have a lot of money travel is limited to a couple of weeks a year.  If you are old and sick it is just biding time.  I went out to get the mail yesterday about 1:30 and my older neighbor came out in her gown to get the paper.  Why get up and get dressed....Enjoy life when you are young and don't retire until you have to. 

Yes, that's exactly why I'm still working full-time at almost 67!  I have no family, except for a younger sister, and of course my crazy cat, Al. Where I work, they shut down between Christmas and New Years, so there I am in the middle of the NE Ohio winter for 11 days at home in my condo.  I go to my gym to work out and love seeing my friends there, but if there's a big snow storm I'll probably be wary of going anywhere.  By the time I have to return to work, I'm dying to get back!  I would definitely have to find something new to take up my time if I retire......not sure what that is yet!

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

151949, as usual you feel the need to judge others. Why can't you just give it a rest? I don't think your life sounds all that great and I don't believe lot of what you say here.

All of you who are suffering and having a bad day, try to stay strong and hopefully better days lie ahead. It is nice to be able to share our feelings here and offer support. A little care and compassion can go a long way.  

Esteemed Contributor

I am 60, recently retired and hubby & I have decent savings and pensions. I am going to enjoy doing all that I can right now....reading, sewing,gardening, having lunch with friends, decorating the house for Holidays and playing with the granddaughter. I am sure there will be a day when I may be ill and won't be able to...but until then I am going to relax and make the most of this time in my life.

Respected Contributor

@StylishLady wrote:

I'm 81 and I feel great. Work out, do all my own gardening, etc. and so far no major issues. I must have inherited a good set of DNA. Now if there was a wrinkle remover that works. 

@StylishLadyStylishLady, you're an inspiration!  At almost 67, I feel as you do, but it's good to know I can still feel that way at 81, or beyond!

Laura loves cats!
Esteemed Contributor

Everyone’s experiences and circumstances are different. Aging can difficult for many even under the best of circumstances. If someone is reaching out or venting about those difficulties it doesn’t hurt to be supportive and kind. Some people don’t have the wherewithal, support, health, family or resources that others have.

There’s an old saying “You can’t really understand another person’s experience until you’ve walked a mile in their shoes.”