Esteemed Contributor

Re: Worst case scenerio for FL now possible!

[ Edited ]

Thanks for your info.  My porch is enclosed so hopefully it will not be blown away.  It may take the roof but shouldn't take it all.  Shouldn't!  Hopefully it won't!

Are you in Florida?  I've lived here all my life.  Seen many hurricanes...just not like Irma.  She scares me!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Susan Louise wrote:

@Zhills wrote:

Florida has so many people living in Mobile homes or old and substandard housing.  Really amazing.

This morning my neighbors were talking and one asked, "What if the roof blows off?"  Well, GUESS????

I have everything out of the yard and on the porch.  Hopefully it will stay.  I'm leaving tomorrow morning.  Going to a concrete block home on a hill but not that far from here, about 30 minutes.  I have family on Gasparilla Island but they have family inland.  I'm sure they will evacuate.  

God be with everyone in Irma's path and keep them safe!

@Zhills  I would try and rethink your idea. Unless you know as a fact the winds will blow in all directions other than on the side of your house where where your porch is, your 'stuff' you placed on your porch will not be there when you get back and just may become a projectile and go through one of your windows. If you can't bring it inside, tie it down somehow. Stick things in your bathroom if you have to...

I suggest making room in your home for everything you have outside and bring it inside.

When we have severe Thunderstorms I have to take our chairs and table on our porch and bring them into our livingroom til it passes. 

Go to the weather channel dot com, then put in your zip code. Then bring up your hourly forecast and scroll through and look at the speed & direction of the winds for the next 36+ hrs. When you scroll through to the bottom, click on 'next 8 hrs'...you can do that for 3 or 4 times.

And you are dealing with a hurricane...just saying.

I posted the above info for Zhills, but I think anyone who lives in FL or north in GA, Carolinas should do what I suggest for those that think leaving anything outside is ok, even those with a covered porch should heed these issues to think about/do...

If rain blows sideways everything will still get wet and blow away!

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Susan Louise wrote:

@Susan Louise wrote:

@Zhills wrote:

Florida has so many people living in Mobile homes or old and substandard housing.  Really amazing.

This morning my neighbors were talking and one asked, "What if the roof blows off?"  Well, GUESS????

I have everything out of the yard and on the porch.  Hopefully it will stay.  I'm leaving tomorrow morning.  Going to a concrete block home on a hill but not that far from here, about 30 minutes.  I have family on Gasparilla Island but they have family inland.  I'm sure they will evacuate.  

God be with everyone in Irma's path and keep them safe!

@Zhills  I would try and rethink your idea. Unless you know as a fact the winds will blow in all directions other than on the side of your house where where your porch is, your 'stuff' you placed on your porch will not be there when you get back and just may become a projectile and go through one of your windows. If you can't bring it inside, tie it down somehow. Stick things in your bathroom if you have to...

I suggest making room in your home for everything you have outside and bring it inside.

When we have severe Thunderstorms I have to take our chairs and table on our porch and bring them into our livingroom til it passes. 

Go to the weather channel dot com, then put in your zip code. Then bring up your hourly forecast and scroll through and look at the speed & direction of the winds for the next 36+ hrs. When you scroll through to the bottom, click on 'next 8 hrs'...you can do that for 3 or 4 times.

And you are dealing with a hurricane...just saying.

I posted the above info for Zhills, but I think anyone who lives in FL or north in GA, Carolinas should do what I suggest for those that think leaving anything outside is ok, even those with a covered porch should heed these issues to think about/do...

Absolutely!!  I live in North Georgia and my stuff will be in including patio and porch furniture.  And don;t forget your bird houses and planters/decor, hoses, etc.   Better safe than sorry.    

Honored Contributor

Florida Governor Rick Scott says that, based on what we know now, "the majority of Florida will have major hurricane impacts with deadly storm surge and life threatening winds."

UPDATES --> NBCNews.com/Irma

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Honored Contributor

@Zhills wrote:

Thanks for your info.  My porch is enclosed so hopefully it will not be blown away.  It may take the roof but shouldn't take it all.  Shouldn't!  Hopefully it won't!

Are you in Florida?  I've lived here all my life.  Seen many hurricanes...just not like Irma.  She scares me!

@Zhills  No, but I do have family still there in Punta Gorta who lived through Charley. My parents also lived through Charley, but they lived in Englewood at the time...both now deceased.

I lived through Hurricane Gloria in 1985 when I lived in Branford, CT...my hometown & state before moving to NE.

Honored Contributor

download.jpg

I would not want to be in any part of Florida right now.

Respected Contributor

@Susan Louise, I live in PG: as you know, we went through Charley....I spoke with the City Manager yesterday about unsecured construction sites. We have many in my neighborhood.

I heard the EOC say that tiles on homes under construction would have to be tied down and tarp would have to be over them...I'm not seeing that...

Great....DD just told me we are in an evacuation zone...

Hugs and Love,

We will get through this @Zhills.....

Hugs,

Poodlepet2 (LESLEIGH)

Honored Contributor

@Susan Louise@Poodlepet2@SilleeMee@Preds@Laura14

Hope all are ok at this point?

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@LTT1 wrote:

@Susan Louise@Poodlepet2@SilleeMee@Preds@Laura14

Hope all are ok at this point?

@LTT1  Hi...I'm fine...I live in eastern NE (since 2000) Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

I just got a few texts from Fort Lauderdale (west of Hwy. 1). They have lost power as well as Verizon phone service as well as (possibly) cell phone service.  Extremely heavy winds.... and this is on the East coast.  :-(