Honored Contributor

Worst case scenerio for FL now possible!

This is the 8pm est update on the weather channel!

kUntitled.jpg

Honored Contributor

Re: Worst case scenerio for FL now possible!

Some facts I just read:

"The last time a Category 5 hurricane ripped through Florida, it was so destructive that meteorologists retired its name forever. That storm, Hurricane Andrew, made landfall southwest of Miami in 1992, killing 65 people, destroying 63,000 homes and inflicting $26.5 billion in economic losses.

But if a similar-sized hurricane were to strike Florida today in the same spot, it would be far more catastrophic — causing up to $100 billion in damage, according to a recent analysis by Swiss Re, the reinsurance firm. That’s even after accounting for the fact that South Florida has strengthened its building codes since Andrew.

The reason is simple: Central and South Florida have grown at a breathtaking pace since 1990, adding more than 6 million people. Glittering high-rises and condominiums keep sprouting up along Miami Beach and other coastal areas. A lot more valuable property now sits in harm’s way."

Honored Contributor

I wonder what a category 5 storm would do to a high rise building?  Is it possible it could topple it?  I'm still thinking about the idiot described in the other thread who's going to "ride it out".   May be a wild ride. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I wonder what a category 5 storm would do to a high rise building?  Is it possible it could topple it?  I'm still thinking about the idiot described in the other thread who's going to "ride it out".   May be a wild ride. 

@Kachina624 There had been stricter building codes put in place after Hurricane Andrew in 1992.

Well, I guess we will all find out after Irma has passed and the construction companies can survey the damage and compare to see which ones faired the best...or none at all. 

The real sad part is that the majority of them will fill up with water on the 1st and 2nd floors from the storm surge...so wonder if/how that will play out in the equation of whether a building can be reconstructed/fixed or even though a high rise is still standing, it has to have the wrecking ball treatment afterwards...

Trusted Contributor

...Also CNN is saying "Florida bracing for direct hit from Monster Storm"!! ...and "New forecast puts Miami in the path of Monster Storm." ...and the Florida Keyes...!!! 

CNN reporting this at 10:30 pm EST.

This monster storm is bigger/wider than the state of Florida!!!!

This is so terrifying!!! I pray everyone has evacuated that have to.

I'm praying for all of you ... Please be safe!!!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 wrote:

8/1992 Chuck Fadley/Miami Herald

Residents returned to the Saga Bay Apartment Complex, at 212th Street and Biscayne Bay, to find soggy furniture and no windows. A resident lowers his belongings to the street below. The American Redcross estimates 9,140 apartments were destroyed, along with 8,140 homes and 8,230 mobile homes.

Note by me:  even though building codes have been strengthened there are thousands of apartments in buildings that have not been upgraded.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Esteemed Contributor

That is sooooo scary!!!!

Honored Contributor

@Marp  Thanks Marp.  It's still standing but is totally trashed.  Wonder how that will affect HOA dues? 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Susan Louise wrote:

Some facts I just read:

"The last time a Category 5 hurricane ripped through Florida, it was so destructive that meteorologists retired its name forever. That storm, Hurricane Andrew, made landfall southwest of Miami in 1992, killing 65 people, destroying 63,000 homes and inflicting $26.5 billion in economic losses.

But if a similar-sized hurricane were to strike Florida today in the same spot, it would be far more catastrophic — causing up to $100 billion in damage, according to a recent analysis by Swiss Re, the reinsurance firm. That’s even after accounting for the fact that South Florida has strengthened its building codes since Andrew.

The reason is simple: Central and South Florida have grown at a breathtaking pace since 1990, adding more than 6 million people. Glittering high-rises and condominiums keep sprouting up along Miami Beach and other coastal areas. A lot more valuable property now sits in harm’s way."

I just want to add the fact that Irma is so large that 2 hurricane Andrews can fit inside!!! Just one more thing to keep in mind.

Something tells me that when Irma is done, Houston's issues just might pale in comparison...

I certainly hope not...but Geeesh.

Esteemed Contributor

Something else to keep in mind is that Andrew was considered a "dry storm".  Irma is not "dry" at all.

South Miami and other areas already have big flooding problems from strong thunderstorms.

An alert for anyone considering buying a used car:  DO IT NOW before the estimated half million cars from Texas and Louisiana, then Florida make it to market.  There are a lot of unscrupulous people out there that take advantage of buying up totaled vehicles, cleaning them up and selling them without disclosure.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.