Respected Contributor

Re: Worst Experience with Sales Pressure

@bonnielu wrote:

Lucked out on this one.  We haven't caught up yet.  Rural but growing.  I can hardly wait.  However we do get door to door people from over 2 hours away trying to sell us Solar or new roofs, or tree and lawn services, on and on and on.  I usually just tell them my son does it for me.  I DON'T HAVE A SON.  Works for me. 

OOh, before we got "block call" on our phone, II used that tactic all the time: My "brother-in law" was multi-talented.  LOL

Denise
Honored Contributor

We have had the car salesman selling the warranty upgrades and the window salesman pushing the extras, but the worst was in Vietnam Nam.

Apparently,  when you touch something, they think you want it.  I picked up something shop to figure out what it was and looked at the price sticker on the bottom. Then I put it back down and continued to browse.

A young sales lady saw me.  She started to haggle the price.  I kept telling her I wasn't interested.  She actually followed me out of the store and down the street.  I literally ran from her..and she was at my heels.

Also in Vietnam Nam a child of about age 8 was selling pictures that either he or someone else had drawn on note cards.  They were about eight for $1.  I didn't want the cards, but felt sorry for the boy, so I gave him $2 and told him to keep the cards.

Well, that kid would not leave me alone. He wanted to sell me the cards. He followed me all over for hours and even came into a resturant while we were having lunch and bugged me at our table. My DH finally got sick of it and told him to leave or he would boot him in the rear end. My DH actually had to act mean and threatening to get that kid to move on.

Normally, If someone gives me the hard sell, I just tell them what sales tactic they are using.  I have taken courses in selling stuff and what to say when a customer says no.  There are canned statements that are taught.  Sometimes, I walk out...did it twice while car buying.

I have already told people that we just filed for bankruptcy and didn't have good credit when they solicit me door to door or at Sam's Club or the Mall and also when invited to attend time share presentations. That seems to work.

Honored Contributor

For me it's definitely AARP. They're relentless, especially by mail, I block their calls.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: My experience with a salesperson was very minor compared...

@J Town Girl wrote:

My experience with a salesperson was very minor compared to some of yours.    With me, it was going to our local Bath & Body Works.    The minute I walked in the door a young girl would immediately follow me around and if I stopped to look at a product she instantly said if you buy two I'll give you the 3rd one for free.   I tried not to get annoyed with her because I realized that is what they are told to do.    I just didn't like feeling that their expectation was that I should buy multiple bottles when I only needed one.

I got so tired of that sales pitch that I just stopped going into the store and now I just purchase online.    It means that I can't see what a particular scent is like but not having to deal with them is worth taking the chance that I won't like it.   I usually just stay with a particular fragrance and I haven't been disappointed yet.  

Maybe one day I'll get brave enough to try a different B&B Works in another mall.   

I don't go to Bath & Body Works often, but every time I've gone, I had the same experience you described.  I always tell them that I'm just there to look around and don't need any help, but then another salesperson pops up.  It's really annoying and keeps me from looking at things I might actually end up buying if they would only leave me alone!

More than once, I've walked out without buying anything simply because I didn't feel like dealing with them.  So I understand your reluctance to go back.  

Respected Contributor

Re: My experience with a salesperson was very minor compared...

Basement waterproofing.  One of those things where they come to your house and husband and wife must both be present.  I'm a pretty quiet, shy person and try not to be rude, but this guy was too much.  When he finally got around to saying $45,000 (!), I said, "But I suppose you're slow and if we start right away, it will only be $20,000."  Wouldn't you know, that's exactly what he said even after I said that lol.  

Honored Contributor

Many years ago, it was a time share lunch.  We were Tahoe, and a friend said, we get a free lunch and a gift for listening to a spiel.  Omg, worst experience in my life.  I actually think they aren't allowed to let you leave alive.  This experience made me gun shy of being in a room  with a salesman for life.  I remember getting mad and asking to leave.  

All time share people must be understudys of Werner Erhart, EST training ( remember the est craze in the 70's?)

Trusted Contributor

@scatcat wrote:

Although I’ve never sat through one, I would think a timeshare presentation would be the worst. My friend and her DH kept going to them for the freebies. Guess what - they now own one. My mom fell for it as well. 

We have a furniture store ART VAN that I will never again shop at. They jump you at the door and stalk you while you shop. You are not allowed to browse without a salesperson hanging on your back. No thanks. 

I went to a time share presentation also, in the end when we didn't  get the freebies promised I came home, wrote a letter to the company explaining how it was a wasted day for me, they didn't  keep their promise, and the gas it cost me to go, they mailed me a checkfor 25.00. The cost of gas and the tolls I had to pay to get there. I also noticed  that by when i signed the check it said i couldn't  sue for further damages. 

Trusted Contributor

We went to a financial presentation that had been loudly and continuously promoted via radio

It was to take place over a chicken dinner and in addition there was a famous person present signing his book. We went. Wow what a mistake. The topic was an annuity that I am certain was legal but the sales pressure afterward was unbelievable. They kept calling even after I told them we were not interested. Finally, my husband answered and informed them they were insensitive to not get the message that they had been told. (he did not use the word insensitive) and to send us a bill for the dinner and do NOT call again.

Respected Contributor

@VaBelle35 wrote:

Mine was at Haverty's furniture store.  I've posted the story before.  I was tagged when I walked in (which is what they do and is expected) but she stalked me and kept pestering me until it became a screaming match and she had to be pushed into a back room by her co-workers.  Her parting shot at me was "people like you need to just shop online" or something to that effect.

Bought new home and wanted new furniture - I got tired of walking into furniture stores and grabbed right inside the door by a salesperson who wants to show/follow me around.  Ironically for me it was at Haverty's I walked in, told the salesman to give me his card but LEAVE ME ALONE, don't follow me and if I find something I'd come get him so he could make the sale and he agreed to that - it was so refreshing not having someone on my heels - but all through the store someone asked if I needed help bc I wasn't attached at the hip by one of their associates.  

Regular Contributor

These sales people probably work on commission.  Some may only get paid by commission.  So if they dont sell  they get nothing.  Just walk out.