Esteemed Contributor

Re: Worst Experience with Sales Pressure

Lucked out on this one.  We haven't caught up yet.  Rural but growing.  I can hardly wait.  However we do get door to door people from over 2 hours away trying to sell us Solar or new roofs, or tree and lawn services, on and on and on.  I usually just tell them my son does it for me.  I DON'T HAVE A SON.  Works for me. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Mine was at Haverty's furniture store.  I've posted the story before.  I was tagged when I walked in (which is what they do and is expected) but she stalked me and kept pestering me until it became a screaming match and she had to be pushed into a back room by her co-workers.  Her parting shot at me was "people like you need to just shop online" or something to that effect.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Valued Contributor

We had a neighbor take a job at a brand new McDonalds about 25+ years ago so she could work around her children's school schedules.  She was let go because she refused to keep asking people, "Would you like fries with that?"  Her reasoning was "they are adults, if they want fries, they'll order them!!  We all still laugh with her over that one.

Respected Contributor

My worst experience was with the finance manager at the dealership when I last financed a car. He was impatient with me because I insisted on reading through all of the paperwork he put in front of me instead of "just sign, here, it's everything we discussed". Well, no, it wasn't. He'd tried to sneak in $1500 for an extended warranty. When I told him I hadn't agreed to that, didn't want it and wouldn't sign until he re-did the paperwork, the hard sell went in to full frontal attack. I finally told him that if the car was such a piece of junk that it was going to fall apart (as he was describing) at the end of the manufacturer's warranty, I didn't want it and stood up to walk out. He finally relented, but I will never finance a car again. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Respected Contributor

Although I’ve never sat through one, I would think a timeshare presentation would be the worst. My friend and her DH kept going to them for the freebies. Guess what - they now own one. My mom fell for it as well. 

We have a furniture store ART VAN that I will never again shop at. They jump you at the door and stalk you while you shop. You are not allowed to browse without a salesperson hanging on your back. No thanks. 

Respected Contributor

My experience with a salesperson was very minor compared...

My experience with a salesperson was very minor compared to some of yours.    With me, it was going to our local Bath & Body Works.    The minute I walked in the door a young girl would immediately follow me around and if I stopped to look at a product she instantly said if you buy two I'll give you the 3rd one for free.   I tried not to get annoyed with her because I realized that is what they are told to do.    I just didn't like feeling that their expectation was that I should buy multiple bottles when I only needed one.

I got so tired of that sales pitch that I just stopped going into the store and now I just purchase online.    It means that I can't see what a particular scent is like but not having to deal with them is worth taking the chance that I won't like it.   I usually just stay with a particular fragrance and I haven't been disappointed yet.  

Maybe one day I'll get brave enough to try a different B&B Works in another mall.   

Honored Contributor

@Its Me LuLuBelle2 wrote:

Without a doubt, hands down, Renewal by Anderson Replacement Windows.  We live in an old (over sixty year old Mid-Century Modern home).  We not only needed new windows, but new frames as well.  

My husband had retired the year before I did.  He called Anderson and our local salesmen called and made an appointment.  I went to work that day.  When the salesman arrived he asked if my husband was married.  My DH told him, "yes, but why does that matter?"   The salesman launched into a spiel about how they would prefer both spouses were present so they could make decisions together.  My husband assured him that his wife (me) just wanted new, better insulated windows and didn't need to be there.  Well that wasn't good enough for the sales guy.  He launched into a whole sales speech about how he would prefer we were both present.  My husband said, "fine, feel free to leave.  You're not the only folks who can do this."  The guy left.  Two weeks later he called back and asked to meet again.  My husband said, "fine, but my wife is not taking a day off from work to talk about ****** windows."  He came back, my husband bought windows, without me.  Seems they want to "upsell" with the little woman there saying, "oh yes honey, we need those windows that cost twice as much!"  Truly disappointing from such a big outfit.

Yes! Window salesman! The worst!

Trusted Contributor

Mine was someone on the phone.... so I decided to ask him all of the same questions he asked me.... I even asked him his first and last name and phone #..... I told him I would call him at a very inconvenient time and ask lots of questions whether he liked it or not.... he acted like he was insulted.... I explained that he did this to me and all the other people he called.... suggested he change his tactics.  LOL

Valued Contributor

@Its Me LuLuBelle2 wrote:

Without a doubt, hands down, Renewal by Anderson Replacement Windows.  We live in an old (over sixty year old Mid-Century Modern home).  We not only needed new windows, but new frames as well.  

My husband had retired the year before I did.  He called Anderson and our local salesmen called and made an appointment.  I went to work that day.  When the salesman arrived he asked if my husband was married.  My DH told him, "yes, but why does that matter?"   The salesman launched into a spiel about how they would prefer both spouses were present so they could make decisions together.  My husband assured him that his wife (me) just wanted new, better insulated windows and didn't need to be there.  Well that wasn't good enough for the sales guy.  He launched into a whole sales speech about how he would prefer we were both present.  My husband said, "fine, feel free to leave.  You're not the only folks who can do this."  The guy left.  Two weeks later he called back and asked to meet again.  My husband said, "fine, but my wife is not taking a day off from work to talk about ****** windows."  He came back, my husband bought windows, without me.  Seems they want to "upsell" with the little woman there saying, "oh yes honey, we need those windows that cost twice as much!"  Truly disappointing from such a big outfit.

Oh my goodness we had the same experience. The salesman arrived asked my husband if I was home. I was not. The salesman would not discuss anything with my husband. This angered my husband who sent the salesman packing. They will not get our business!

Valued Contributor

Re: My experience with a salesperson was very minor compared...

@J Town Girl wrote:

My experience with a salesperson was very minor compared to some of yours.    With me, it was going to our local Bath & Body Works.    The minute I walked in the door a young girl would immediately follow me around and if I stopped to look at a product she instantly said if you buy two I'll give you the 3rd one for free.   I tried not to get annoyed with her because I realized that is what they are told to do.    I just didn't like feeling that their expectation was that I should buy multiple bottles when I only needed one.

I got so tired of that sales pitch that I just stopped going into the store and now I just purchase online.    It means that I can't see what a particular scent is like but not having to deal with them is worth taking the chance that I won't like it.   I usually just stay with a particular fragrance and I haven't been disappointed yet.  

Maybe one day I'll get brave enough to try a different B&B Works in another mall.   

Our store is the same. Asking us once it I need help is enough! They ask every time you stop to look at the products!