Honored Contributor

Re: Worst Christmas gift ever

@alicedee wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

@alicedee wrote:

When my ex first got out of the Marines we were dirt poor..had a 6 month old baby and I was pregnant again.....living on $98 a week unemployment.  That year for Christmas I bought my MIL a little gold metal soap dish with a flower-shaped soap. 

The following Christmas she gifted it back to me.

She was a very nasty woman.

@alicedee 

I think we were "gifted" MIL's cut from the same cloth!  She never wanted her smart son to leave her!

Talk about hateful/resentful!  She never even saw her grandchildren!!!!!

They deserved a metal, don't you think?Smiley Happy

@ECBG   Yeah, a metal bat.  LOL  (Did you mean medal?)

I'm sorry I don't like to correct people but I found this funny.  Maybe a Freudian slip on your part.  LOL

Ha....I read it both ways....ECBG and I deserved a medal....the MIL's the metal bat lol!

@alicedeeHaHA!!!  Metal bats can be used in a variety of ways.

Just sayin'.

Woman LOL

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

IRe: Worst Christmas gift ever

I received a bathrobe that reaked of cigarette smoke!  And I don't smoke, so the smell was awful and obvious.

......You look like I need a drink.....
Valued Contributor

Re: IRe: Worst Christmas gift ever

In another beauty shop I worked in we drew names.We didn't know till we exchanged gifts.

Well, I didn't care for the girl in the booth beside me.Yep, she got my name & I got a Chia Pet!!

Now I know I got curly hair but really? Didn't make me like her any better.

Esteemed Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

@happycat 

Not surprising that I love gift cards, huh?   Even a $10 gift card to McD's gets me sweet tea and an apple pie!   

Ha!!! Me too! 

Valued Contributor

I was training a new guy at work and he started at Thanksgiving. We were having a white elephant in mid-December and he decided to participate.

It was a $15 limit and it was things like gift cards, movie certificates, gift sets etc and the new guy exceeded that limit with a really nice gift basket.

He picked first and the gifter literally just cleaned out his garage. It was a box of absolute junk. Half can of paint thinner, used paint brushes, screws, nails, a broken hammer and a can of spray paint with the grifters last name on it.

Since the new guy went first of course no one wanted trade with him. I felt absolutely horrible that he’d been there for 2.5 weeks, spent quite a bit on his gift contribution and he got a load of trash while everyone else got a really nice present.

I didn’t participate that year or I would have traded with him.
Esteemed Contributor

I received a top from a friend -- in a size XXL.

Wasn't sure what that was all about since it was obvious that it would be several sizes too big for me.

Esteemed Contributor

One year my husband gave me a Dustbuster. 

I will add that was the last Christmas he ever gave me a cleaning product as a gift!

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I always hated the gift exchanges at work....but everyone had to participate.

Most just gave coffee mugs filled with cheap candy...

One guy gave a pack of toliet paper.....(this was back in the 90's)

Valued Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

It did not take many Christmases to learn that my husband is THE worst at buying gifts!  

In taking the horrible gifts back, I realized that whatever was on display just inside the door was that years gift; flannel nightgowns, cheap perfume, bubble bath in a plastic bottle, along with some type of candy.   He always waited until Christmas Eve, and if he spent 10 minutes in the store, 8 of them were spent checking out!   

@RedTop 

My DH was like yours in that he didn't spend much time thinking about and buying gifts.

My husband bought practical gifts.  The Christmas before we married, he gave me an electric knife.  My first Mother's Day, my gift was a Crockpot.  Needless to say, I was thinking "romantic."

As the years passed his gift giving improved mostly due to my daughter's help.  50+ anniversaries later, I have to tell him, please no jewelry, I have so much now.

Trusted Contributor

The last Christmas I spent with my ex, he gave me an Alaska sweatshirt.  I'd never expressed any interest in the state and I live on the East Coast.  That was it - a sweatshirt.  Funny thing is, dozens of years later, I had an opportunity to take an Alaskan cruise and that was wonderful.