Respected Contributor

Re: Worst Christmas gift ever

I remember a secret santa exchange early in my teaching career with other staff members.  We were supposed to give a small gift everyday for a week and then something bigger on the last day and guess who gave it to you.  I can't remember everything I got but one gift was a set of Thanksgiving paper napkins and another was one of those tiny address books and it had the lady's name written inside!

Frequent Contributor

My mother-in-law gave my husband and me a cheap food processor (Black & Decker). When she handed over the present, she commented that she gave us the exact same gift the year before, so here was the receipt.

I said to my husband, "at least we don't have to pretend to like it." 

She wasn't senile or broke or without transportation, so it was really a bummer.

Just one of many bad gifts!

Respected Contributor

It sounds like regifting is alive and well. I hated workplace exchanges.

A man I was dating about age 35,  after my divorce   gave me  knit gloves with stripes in every color of the rainbow. UGLY!  Something for  teenager. or preteen ? I  gave him a shawl collar  pullover sweater in a wheat color. He wore it alot.

Respected Contributor

Golf clubs. From my father.

I was four.

I didn't golf. I didn't even jump rope. I could barely do jacks. I remember unwrapping the box--they were kiddie clubs, but it was still big--and staring at them and wondering what on earth he was thinking to give me those things.

I those days, I was gracious, so I smiled and thanked him. The yard was under a foot of snow at the time, but come spring, I gamely tried golfing. I didn't get it and never tried it again.

Have no idea what happened to those clubs.

Honored Contributor

@alicedee wrote:

When my ex first got out of the Marines we were dirt poor..had a 6 month old baby and I was pregnant again.....living on $98 a week unemployment.  That year for Christmas I bought my MIL a little gold metal soap dish with a flower-shaped soap. 

The following Christmas she gifted it back to me.

She was a very nasty woman.

@alicedee 

I think we were "gifted" MIL's cut from the same cloth!  She never wanted her smart son to leave her!

Talk about hateful/resentful!  She never even saw her grandchildren!!!!!

They deserved a metal, don't you think?Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

A frog sitting on a toilet that my MIL made in ceramics.  She made them for all of us who were married.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@happycat 

Not surprising that I love gift cards, huh?   Even a $10 gift card to McD's gets me sweet tea and an apple pie!   

Respected Contributor

I thought of one that was cute.  My sibs and I were pretty sheltered, innocent kids.  One year when my older sister was 11, she gave me what she....and I....thought was a beautiful little gold purse.  I was 9, and carried it proudly to Catholic school each day.  We went to Mass every day, and I can still remember how it sparkled against the old, dark wooden pew.

Eventually someone told me my pretty purse was a gold lame cigarette case lol!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ECBG wrote:

@alicedee wrote:

When my ex first got out of the Marines we were dirt poor..had a 6 month old baby and I was pregnant again.....living on $98 a week unemployment.  That year for Christmas I bought my MIL a little gold metal soap dish with a flower-shaped soap. 

@alicedee 

I think we were "gifted" MIL's cut from the same cloth!  She never wanted her smart son to leave her!

@ECBG   Yeah, a metal bat.  LOL  (Did you mean medal?)

I'm sorry I don't like to correct people but I found this funny.  Maybe a Freudian slip on your part.  LOL

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

@alicedee wrote:

@alicedee 

@ECBG   Yeah, a metal bat.  LOL  (Did you mean medal?)

I'm sorry I don't like to correct people but I found this funny.  Maybe a Freudian slip on your part.  LOL

Ha....I read it both ways....ECBG and I deserved a medal....the MIL's the metal bat lol!